1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What Matt said. Jesus. Only Covid had less of a chance of being avoided but even that should have had a better government response.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Fuck... my bad.

Couldn’t is what I meant.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

AAU kids tend to be coddled. That’s the analogy.

Liut likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

police and fire did an incredible job of capitalizing on a tragedy and playing up the “heroes!!!!” angle. If anything, police and fire have proven that unions work in this country, contrary to what the conservative squawk boxes will lead you to believe. Through the FOP and firefighters unions these guys have managed to successfully lobby for more and more funding for more and more toys.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Money is the key.

It’s the people selling the weapons and toys who are the real puppet masters of America.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One factor you are forgetting is Floyd is the third incident in three months, following Ahmaud Aubery and Breanna Taylor

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Neighbor college student said whites can't use the N-word because blacks have "reclaimed" it. I asked "What about rappers who use the N-word and language that degrades women in the same song?"

"That's a separate issue."

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

My fear is if the protests continue Trump and Barr will sic the military on peaceful protesters without approval of governors. I think Trump’s attitude is like that of Bob Giles, the Detroit News publisher. Early in the newspaper strike Gannett got tired of flying papers out of the North Plant with helicopters and had the trucks drive through the protesters. Fortunately nobody was hurt. When asked about it, Giles said about the protesters: “They got out of the way, didn’t they?”

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

An eight minute and forty five second video of a man being smothered to death is different from a shooting video. Those are fast, and generally the details about the cause are in dispute. In this case, a man is handcuffed and on his belly, helpless because three people are holding him down as he calls out that he can't breathe - and he dies of asphyxiation. In many ways it is more brutal than a shooting video, because you have plenty of time to absorb what is happening and it is impossible to deny what you are seeing.

Iron_chet and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This one really resonated, I think, because:
    1) The video is clear and close;
    2) Social media usage is up -- or at least it was through early May, the latest I can find in a quick search;
    3) If asked to guess where something like the Floyd tragedy happened, very few people would have guessed Minneapolis. And that suggested that bad policing is everywhere. Buffalo, LA, Louisville, etc., have proven that.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The question I have and hope is answered eventually is, why did the cop just sit there with his knee on Floyd's neck for that long? Confront him, apprehend him, handcuff him, even subdue him on the ground. Then what? Shove him into a squad car and take him in. It was like the cop was starting his break. "Hmmm, time for my break. I'll just kneel here for 10 minutes until my break is over."

WriteThinking and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted