1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inky byline strike/sickout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Jun 4, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

When are people going to realize you don't confront the saying "Black Lives Matter" ever. You don't have flippant headlines using that theme. You don't say "all lives matter" like the Kings announcer who got axed. Leave those words alone. Those Inquirer suits need to calm this situation. Whoever wrote the headline will be fired.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

At least you are consistent, Fredrick.

Moderator1 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm curious how many people saw that headline before it went to print, and if there was any discussion about it in-house.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I had not seen the Inquirer's apology until I went looking for it. Written by an editor and scene by another before it went to print.

An apology to our readers and Inquirer employees

Here’s how our editing and headline-writing process operates: Stories typically go through two assignment editors before reaching the print desk, where copy editors weigh the merits of the story, and check for grammar, style and factual errors. It’s at that stage, when the print page is being created, that print headlines are written by copy editors. Typically, two print editors review headlines and pages before they are sent to the presses. Our review of this incident found that the process was followed, and the headline was created by one editor and read by another.

This incident makes clear that changes are needed, and we are committing to start immediately.

We will review the editing process above and implement safeguards to flag sensitive content and prevent single-person publication. We will continue training and discussions around cultural sensitivity, including a previously scheduled program that will begin this week. We will expand on our commitment to build a newsroom that better reflects the community it serves, with more recruiting resources and requirements for diverse finalist pools. And we will define a process for flagging, discussing and publicly disclosing lapses in editorial judgment that aren’t addressed with a simple factual correction.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They can fall back on "we're changing the system" if they want, but beyond the diversity issue the core problem is they have two editors who are too dumb to hold that position.

playthrough likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You can't prevent "single-person publication" when your staff has been shredded.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wasn't it the Inky that protected child rapist Bill Conlin all those years?

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Protected how? My understanding was he resigned within 24 hours of them finding out.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have to know something.

Have you ever had an opinion that doesn't center around the greediness of newspaper executives -- something we all already know?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Surprised this type of mistake isn't more common. The suits are lucky their people in this business generally are able to do the work of 3 people and still not make severe mistakes. Especially the places that let their reporters post stories with headlines without an edit. Papers are so lucky there have not been libelous stories and headlines galore.

12. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Not a lot. I'm sure it was a designer who put some dummy text in the hed and forgot about it.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted