1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The government is involved because 1. This is kind of a big project. 2. Banks don't usually loan money for "we're gonna do a crash program in virology basic research" 3. Most important, to insure government will have the final say in production, distribution and costing of any vaccine. Dr. Salk famously gave away any rights to his vaccine. Left to its own devices, a pharmaceutical company might not be so generous.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

*So I moved 10 miles away.*
    — Stephen Wright

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

so people can buy what they need to make the masks we are required to wear.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You think J&J or Merck or Pfizer is financing its R&D with bank loans? Those companies have been issuing bonds all around the world, even during the pandemic. There has been pretty healthy demand, particularly with the ECB, and now the Fed too, creating money from the ether to buy up corporate debt and suppress yields.

If the rationale is that the US can now control the vaccine if one of those five companies produces one first, it is more than offset by the fact that they essentially funneled capital away from a bunch of other companies that didn't win the graft game, theoretically at least making it harder for those others to attract capital, which makes the hunt for a vaccine less robust.

On top of it, the flip side to what you are sayng is that with the U.S. government involved, it also makes it so that they can limit its distribution to other countries, and the pharma companies that are most likely to have success in developing a vaccine are not (and should not be) arms of the U.S. government and Donald Trump's corrupt whims.

The choice of these five companies was not entirely based on the science, what looks most promising, etc. Things that a market would focus on in deciding where to allocate capital. I have a suspicion that Sanofi which was putting a ton of work into this, for example, got voted off the Island because it is a French company. According to things I have read, it also appears their major criteria was who was promising they could have zillions of doses ready on some unrealistic time table -- i.e. -- the manufacturing process, and not on who had the most promising science.

The chances are high that this "Warp Speed" corruption proves to have been a collosal waste of money, with the debt being left behind for all of us. It's bad enough that people won't revisit it and learn from it. But they certainly won't consider the unseen consequence of the misallocated capital being prevented from reaching more productive uses.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I guess simply to differentiate. Brazil is now #2 in the world, all by itself.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

We got stuff to sew masks with at Michaels.

7. Neutral Corner

Dr. Faucci has become so transparent you can't even see him.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Fred siegle likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm being pedantic. Differentiating is fine and the NAFTA countries being considered North America is fair. But if we're saying Latin America to me that includes Mexico. I guess I've played too much Sporcle.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Can't they order those materials online?

10. Baron Scicluna

Is that stuff also available to purchase online?

11. Neutral Corner

Probably, but we're talking about my wife's sewing stuff. She wants to get an eye on to check the color and to supervise what substitutes get picked when something isn't in stock, etc. She's been out of the house three times in eight or ten weeks. I didn't argue, just masked up, touched nothing that wasn't coming home with us, and washed hands after.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Well, at least you were being a smart husband.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted