1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which was indicated in the first part of my sentence. As for my solution, that's what the additional unemployment stimulus was supposed to be for. But of course, Republicans whined that people were getting paid more to stay at home instead of working non-essential jobs during a pandemic.

Dog8Cats and SFIND like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My position is that "essential" vs. "non-essential" is of almost no consequence WRT transmission of this virus. It's "extended length of time --- usually indoors --- in the company of a large number of people" that does it. Regardless of the "necessity" of such places. Convenience stores have been open throughout the pandemic. And the only "necessity" they sell is something you can get without going into the building. But the state considers "lottery tickets" an important piece of tax revenue . . . so the stores remain open. It's just a stupid game.

People are out and about going to the grocery store and pharmacy and auto repair place. They are NOT going to substantially increase the number of cases by stopping off at the jeweler or craft store for 15 minutes on the way home from these places. They're just not.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    WriteThinking likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Why the distinction between North America and Latin American-Caribbean? Technically, North America includes Latin America and the Caribbean. And if "North America" means Canada and the US, why not just say that?

5. Baron Scicluna

Convenience stores also sell food and drinks, which are a necessity if someone has to travel some place far and needs to stop. If the convenience store is open to sell food and drinks, they might as well sell the lottery tickets too. There's at least a rational reason for them to stay open.

There's no rational reason for a jeweler or a craft store to be open, unless they are selling essential items.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Many people enjoy crafts.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is fine

8. Baron Scicluna

Bigly.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

100K a day = 700K a week = 7 million in 10 weeks.

That’s a big number, but in terms of world population it’s infinitesimal. It would take 192 years to infect the whole world at that rate. Of course, once this really gets going in Africa I expect a return to exponential rises.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

To state the obvious, there is a huge incentive for any of the pharma companies to try to develop a vaccine.

Can anyone explain to me why our government needs to be slinging money around inefficiently on this -- even if it wasn't going to be done corruptly?

We're in massive debt on all the wasteful, corrupt nonsense, and this could amount to billions of dollars. It is the equivalent of stealing capital from the future that would likely be allocated to much more potentially viable things if a market -- rather than Jared Kushner -- were determining how that capital flows.

EDIT: I am convinced that Moderna is a giant scam of a company.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They weren't necessarily from people staying at home. They were from people taken from home to the hospital.

Since most people spend most of their time at home, most things involving them will be around the home. Just like most traffic accidents occur five miles from a person's home.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've always understood that North American meant Canada, the Unite States and Mexico.

Draft saved Draft deleted