1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SpaceX Falcon 9 launch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 27, 2020.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have no recollection of Apollo 1 (wasn't quite 6) and never really understood the danger of Apollo 13 at the time. Just remember being angry. "Whaddaya mean they're not landing on the moon?!?" This was on the heels of my anger at Apollo 12 (Al Bean frying the camera lens and subjecting us to "animations" of the moonwalk).

maumann likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember being stunned by the Apollo 1 fire, mostly because Ed White was killed in it. White's spacewalk in 1965 is the earliest news story I remember being aware of at the time it happened. I had a record album of the Gemini astronauts re-creating their communications from the Gemini 4 and Gemini 5 missions (that album is why Gordo Cooper and Pete Conrad became my favorite astronauts).

I was a huge space nerd and that fire was the biggest catastrophe I could think of at the time.

maumann likes this.
  3. BTExpress

In HBO's From the Earth to the Moon series they had two "hated" characters playing astronauts. "Boggs" from Shawshank played Gus Grissom, and Dr. Romano from ER (who also played a guard in Shawshank) played Pete Conrad.

maumann likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Only four of the 12 men who walked on the moon are still alive: Buzz Aldrin, Charles Duke, Harrison Schmitt and David Scott.

maumann likes this.
  5. BTExpress

Duke is the famous Capcom voice talking down Apollo 11. Upon touchdown: "You've got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again, thanks a lot."

maumann likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember watching PBS’s “Apollo Wives” documentary a few years back, and Pete Conrad did not come off well at all in it. His ex-wife even wrote a less-than-complimentary song about him.

maumann likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bob and Doug are coming back today. Live coverage on Discovery and Science Networks.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I've interviewed all but Scott. Also, Shepard and Irwin. One of the perks of having NASA creds back in the day.

Slacker and Mngwa like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Watched them release from the ISS last night. Hope somebody explains the reasoning behind landing in the Gulf. (I heard something about logistics and Pensacola, but only in passing.)

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Pete Conrad's wikipedia:
    Unlike his fellow candidates, Conrad rebelled against the regimen. During an inkblot test, he told the psychiatrist that one blot card revealed a sexual encounter complete with lurid detail. When shown a blank card, he turned it around, pushed it back and replied, "It's upside down".

Then when he was asked to deliver a stool sample to the onsite lab, he placed it in a gift box and tied a red ribbon around it. Eventually, he decided that he had had enough. After dropping his full enema bag on the desk of the clinic's commanding officer, he walked out.

BTExpress likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Obviously they want to land as close to the Flora-Bama as possible.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Dunno why. The Mullet Toss 2020 was cancelled.

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted