1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I only turned it on because I had gotten home and saw someone tweeting about it. Managed to see the last eight laps. I was blissfully unaware of said commercial.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It will be this week.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I didn’t even see the end of the race — was out with one of the kids. Got an alert on my phone that Keselowski at 12 to 1 paid off.

Two weeks in a row!

I don’t follow a lot of NASCAR, but anytime he’s more than 8-1, I consider that good value.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

His dad was a pretty good driver, too. I don't think Bob made it past the trucks.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dover will moves one of its two Cup Series dates to Nashville next season, at Nashville Superspeedway. It looks like SMI’s plan to get Nashville Fairgrounds Raceway going again has hit one snag too many.

Nashville joining Cup slate as Dover loses date

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When they built "Nashville" it was too far away from anything. Basically, people would have stayed in Lebanon and Murfreesboro. It's 40 miles outside of Nashville, which isn't really that far, but if you were trying to create an inclusive experience between downtown and the race, it's not real convenient.
    Now that NASCAR doesn't have to worry about crowds, they can go there.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's a big fuck-you from Daytona. Bruton Smith must be pissed.

From the limited stuff I'd read, it seemed like the metro council and the mayor were just kicking the ball back and forth. Wonder how much $$ Dover is getting from the Frances to make this happen and show up SMI.

At least the track isn't a true cookie cutter, and it mimics Dover in some ways (all concrete). I don't remember the Busch/truck races being all that compelling. Coolest first-place trophy in pro sports, though.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Yeah, until Kyle Bush smashed one and pissed off Sam Bass. There won't be any more of those.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm thinking they'll bring it back. They gotta!

10. Driftwood

Won't be a Sam Bass original. He's dead.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was wrong about this being an F-U to Bruton.

“A source close to the situation tells Autoweek that Dover is giving up a date at the request of Speedway Motorsports in the hopes of convincing Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee to approve the legislation of a ticket tax to cover the costs of renovating the Fairgrounds Speedway.”

NASCAR Cup to Race at Nashville Superspeedway in 2021

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They weren't considering bring Winston Cup (I know, I know, but all the other sponsors are gone...) back to the Fairgrounds, were they? I know they were looking at NASCAR-sanctioned events, but I thought I read that WC wasn't gonna happen at such a tiny track.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted