1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's what the agitators want. Left or right. Antifa or Proud Boys. That we throw up our hands in fear and exhaustion and ask for more violence from the government. Because it serves their purpose.

Don't forget what started this: the killing of George Floyd.

Hold on to that, specifically, and to the idea of peaceful protest in service of better policing, and do your best to ignore - and get through - the rest of it.

HanSenSE, Machine Head, Liut and 3 others like this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yes. And there has been thousands upon thousands of people doing that all over the country. I was impressed at the massive marches yesterday that were peaceful.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This morning, one of the first things I clicked on was a video someone put on twitter of a mile or more of people marching through DC last night.

I was thinking about how we have a small segment of people who somehow managed to let Trump hijack the presidency. They throw fluff at everyone like, "Make America Great Again." They use the slogan or a stupid hat or a giant flag to try to obscure that they are often just unprincipled people. Or to the extent they have any principle, it is hatred of others. To the point that what they really want is what is unAmerican.

But I watched the sea of people marching in that video and I was thinking what they were doing is what makes America great.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The bulk of the protests have been peaceful, but, let’s face it, they got more peaceful when it became clear there was going to be a greater police and national guard presence.

Protests have changed since the 60s. There is, for one thing, a unsettling performative quality to them, as if a looter is in a movie. There’s an awareness that the audience is going to be greater than just the people standing there. That awareness can make people do some strange things.

Liut likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning with Brother Marvin in my thoughts. I thought I'd share.

TigerVols, qtlaw and Jerry-atric like this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

They got more peaceful because the Proud Boys and Kluxxers are pants-wetting babies when they might have to pick on someone their own size.

It's a fair point, @Alma. Some groups here have asked people who already have physical issues or who are sheltering in place to do other things to support the protesters. At least part of that concern was to keep people safe from the outsiders coming in to agitate.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Soon to be fired by Trump ...

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’m confident that in Minneapolis, there were a lot of outside agitators because the city was a flashpoint. Since then, I think a lot of the angriest, most destructive folks are from inside their own cities and states.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on this. It is wanton destruction that has nothing to do with race, or racism, or any other kind of persecution. Or politicizing.

Frankly, it's the kind of thing that makes you want to see these people get shot at.

And worse, that might actually happen, because, in this entire discussion, I've seen a lot of talk and blame of Trump, politics, and the upset over Floyd's death, etc. OK, I get that Trump's stupid tweets and general previous idiocy hasn't helped, and the protestors are angry. But more and more, I think we all see that these trouble-makers are not the protestors, and George Floyd and concerns about racism are not motivating them in the least. And Trump's repeated description of it all as "disgraceful" is not actually wrong, at all.

So, what do we actually do about the destruction and looting (not the protesting)? Because it has to be stopped. What are anybody's actual suggestions for stopping it, beyond Biden's rhetoric about healing wounds, etc., with no specifics.

What do we actually do to stop something that is nothing but sheer, widespread criminal behavior and a complete, intentional lack of personal responsibility? Because that's what it is.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  12. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I know that I have a reputation as a peace-loving “Deadhead,” but this sentence in which you say “these people” should be shot is very troublesome for me. I am not attempting to be argumentative.

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted