1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Asst coach says he used the word in order to "stop it from being used on the field." I suppose this is possible. Perhaps he said, "Hey, Smith! Did you say n&*&( ? That's a despicable word. Don't ever say that in my presence again."
    But I'm still confused about this story and I have read several versions, all of which flow from an original in The State that didn't sufficiently explain the situation in my view.
    I won't blame Saint Dabo of the Upstate for failing to go public with it at the time. If he declined to address it with the team, that's another matter.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Houston!

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Only in Texas

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Guardsmen hugging protesters. Only in LA.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nah. Thsoe guys get paid too much, 'cause they are no shit killing people mercenaries. These yahoos will turn out to be some kind of Bureau of Prisons Reaction Team or something, someone that AG Barr could summon with a couple of phone calls.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You clearly have never been to San Francisco...

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Alexandria finally removed the Apomattox statue on Old Town's main drag. I noticed that damn thing every time I drove through town. Is the Lee statue still up in Richmond? Notable for the Arthur Ashe statue at the other end of street.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The news coverage of the National Mall and the defacing of monuments there is something that really got to me. So did the shots today from New York City -- Times Square and surrounding areas that are iconic and especially important to native New Yorkers like my family.

My 88-year-old mom, who grew up in New York, has memories of watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade live from atop her father's shoulders, held a job at a law office on Wall Street for several years before marrying my dad, and has been live among the hoards of people in Times Square on New Year's Eve, was, seriously, nearly undone as she watched the destruction and looting of the iconic Macy's and surrounding areas. She sat, practically in tears, as she watched TV almost all day long, too horribly mesmerized to turn it off. And she was irate, and not too impressed, either, with the 11 p.m. -- 11 p.m.! -- curfew and the apparent lack of any effort to stop any of it by the NYPD.

I hate to say it, but all this is getting to be less and less about George Floyd and more and more about all the madness and mayhem being fostered by the seemingly organized mobs bent on destruction. Don't tell me these hijackers are giving one thought to George Floyd. These cowards are hiding behind his death, and doing this garbage in his name. It's insulting, to the point of practically being blasphemy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Black people are pissed off and hurt. They want white people to feel pissed off and hurt like they are.

Racists like to spray paint hateful words on black and Jewish and Muslim churches, so now things are painted on things white people like.

Honestly, I don’t feel bad at all. This shit has been coming for far too long.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Shit like this helps nothing.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's still there, and it's the flashpoint every time some shitty right-wing Confederate pride group decides it wants to come to town with their AR-15s as a "show of force of defending muh heritage". It is currently sports a fresh coat of "Fuck 12" and "ACAB" tags from this week's festivities.

I ride my bike past the Arthur Ashe statue often (it's less than a mile from my house) and I'm always taken by the fact that it looks like he's trying to beat those children with a tennis racket.

Draft saved Draft deleted