1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Maybe it has been targeted, but if I was leading a protest/riot in NYC, Trump Tower would have been at the top of my list.

2. Driftwood

See dumbassery chapter 937.

A (local) deputy has been fired over a remark made on Facebook over the weekend.
    In the remark, (he) stated that “open fire should have been issued on anyone participating” in the Minneapolis riots.
    “Officers must regard the discharge of their duties as a public trust and recognize their responsibilities as a public servant. Even while off-duty, officers must be mindful of their conduct in private life, how that conduct reflects on the Sheriff’s Office and how it can damage the trust of the community.”
    According to the sheriff’s office, (the deputy) was initially suspended over the remark, but after additional review, it was determined that stronger disciplinary action was warranted.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nor I. But sports journalists believe he and other coaches need to speak up and, when they do, say the right things.

Which is why you get fancy designs on Twitter with SID-crafted words on them.

Dabo does an interview - which is far riskier - and gets blasted for it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

he was pretty vocal about Kaepernick, so here we are

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Trump will resign before he loses in November.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Meh. It's not ridiculous to expect a man that makes millions and millions of dollars, mostly on the backs of black football players, to see the injustice they face on a daily basis and be able to put those observations into words. Instead, all he can muster is a word salad of religion and sin. That doesn't help anyone and it's not wrong to call that out. Dabo isn't a private citizen. He's probably the highest paid government employee in SC.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Idiots fail to recognize that terrorizing journalists (or any group) will only impassion them to do more and for more to join the cause.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

And used weapons to clear people from the front of the church.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dabo said Black Lives Matter needed to “find another country to live in.” So he lit the flame years ago so I’m happier than hell to check in and see how the house fire is going.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Driftwood

I was in the Navy when the Tailhook scandal happened. It was an isolated incident involving a handful of individuals.
    In the aftermath, the entire U.S. Navy did a multi-day stand down for training, evaluations, etc.
    When this is over, that needs to happen when this is over with ever cop in the country from NYC to the Petticoat Junction PD. It doesn't need to be internally led. Some kind of oversight group needs to lead it and make enforceable recommendations. I have drank beer with our local Chief of Police, and I went to high school with our Sheriff. I really don't think either one of them would intentionally leave some rogue officer on the street, but I also doubt either of them would take it as seriously as need be.

Draft saved Draft deleted