1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here’s snippet from the column:

Dabo, on Monday: "First and foremost I know that we are all hurting for the Floyd family and our country. I can speak for our entire staff and our team in that regard for sure. We have all witnessed just disgusting acts of evil. That’s really the only word I can appropriately use.

“What I know as I approach everything from a perspective of faith is that where there are people, there’s going to be hate, there’s going to be racism and greed and jealousy and crime and so on because we live in a sinful fallen world. We’ve had so much bad news."

Generalizing the death of a Black man at the knee of a white police officer as a byproduct of our sinful world didn’t exactly hit the mark. You can believe that the devil made Derek Chauvin do it, but a specific acknowledgement that this was an act of police brutality perpetrated upon a Black man in handcuffs would have helped convince the world that Dabo gets it.

As a Christian, I think Dabo kind of gets that the root cause of these problems are sin. That’s what Christians believe. He isn’t saying anything, in that snippet, that any Christian wouldn’t at least have chewed on and, moreover, it’s exactly what you’d expect Dabo to say. There’s nothing overtly offensive in that statement, unless you’re counting the “if certain words aren’t delivered in a certain order, preferably with many syllables and euphemisms, then it’s not right” kind of offensive.

So the critique is, basically, he didn’t say it right. Or think the right things in the right way. In other words, Dabo has the wrong belief system.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ad7274-a440-11ea-bb20-ebf0921f3bbd_story.html

We are the governed. We no longer consent to let the police kill us.

Eugene Robinson:

"This coast-to-coast uprising is not about terrorism, foreign or domestic. It’s not about arson, looting or carpeting streets with broken glass. It’s about a powerful phrase in the Declaration of Independence: “the consent of the governed.” Police in this country no longer have our consent to kill African Americans unjustly and with impunity."

Mngwa likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

6. Neutral Corner

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

She's an excellent researcher. Hiding in Plain Sight is equal parts illuminating and depressing.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. Della9250

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can’t imagine myself giving less of a flying fuck what Dabo fucking Swinney thinks right now.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Draft saved Draft deleted