1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

They've diluted the brand beyond repair. There are still great writers at SI, but they appear on the same website as unpaid/underpaid local bloggers who post unedited copy reacting to other outlets' news. It's sad to see.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

There are still some good articles, but not enough that I'd pay for it like it was back in the day.

3. utilityman

utilityman New Member

In the unsigned, 3 paragraph Don Shula obit in the current issue, it mistakenly says Shula won three Super Bowls. He won two. This never would have happened in the Time Inc. days.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

To call this word salad is to insult salad.
    What Next? Gundy Seemed to Follow Advice of Former Player and Parent of a Former Player

STILLWATER -- The day after Chuba Hubbard and teammates took to Twitter to protest a t-shirt worn last week by head coach Mike Gundy and the West End Zone was quiet.

As Coach McCleskey and I were discussing the current climate and how it looks like America is listening and listening more attentively to young African-American men more than ever before.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Was that written by the OSU radio sideline reporter or does another Robert Allen cover OSU?

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I just got the June issue. They let Verducci write what has to be like 50,000 words. It's 23 pages of text

8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Is it this piece?
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/06/19/babe-ruth-boston-red-sox-1918-pandemic

"An abridged version of the story runs in the print edition of SI out next week. Even in its trimmed form it stands as one of the longest pieces the magazine ever has published."

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

yes that's the intro to it. If what I saw was the abridged version, then holy shit

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

More felonious assault on the language and the readers can be found here.
    How Much Concern is There Among LSU, College Football Athletes About a Safe Return in the Fall?

1) Some athletic directors are growing weary of a football season happening come fall ...
    2) While professional leagues like the NBA and NFL can go into a “bubble” format as a last resort, the logistics of it for colleges is near impossible.
    3) “There's nowhere to go to be in a bubble. You have programs all over the country with different economic situations and testing protocols. I think even if we get to a season, you will see teams that will not play or will not play a full season. It's going to be a jig-saw puzzle of epic proportions.”

(Yes, the quote has no attribution.)

Alma likes this.
  11. It's almost like SI/Maven is leaning into it for the clicks of hate-readers.

12. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Who the hell cares. Do you people honestly still read SI?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted