1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Luckily, this guy has a record:

170529-tiger-woods-mugshot-1152a-rs_77eff5decb6639079c8cb49cf0a4c1ce.fit-760w.jpg

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Crisis actors, all of them.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm very sad as I watch Santa Monica, my hometown, getting ravaged by looters today. It is one of the hotspots in L.A. County, and probably the nation.
    There was a peaceful protest starting at the pier. They walked north one block to Broadway, then headed east. When they got to Third Street, that put them right between the Santa Monica Place indoor mall and the Third Street Promenade. They proceeded to trash those two areas. One of the first stores hit was one more block east at a Van's shoe store on Fourth and Broadway. They moved north up Fourth to an REI that was completely emptied. As the day progressed, they kept going up the major thoroughfares, Santa Monica Blvd., Wilshire Blvd., Montana Ave. They hit a Big 5 that is on the eastern border of the city on Wilshire.
    Santa Monica put in a 4 p.m. curfew.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He could've used some to raise the numbers at the inauguration.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We have mostly been in Philadelphia during covid. We are city people with no place away from high infection areas, and this has been better than NYC during this period, even though I really hate Philadelphia.

We have an apartment right near where the rioting and looting was Saturday night. What was going on outside our windows was unreal.

Yesterday morning, there was a spontaneous movement where people went out with brooms, trashbags and chemicals to scrub walls, and start cleaning up the mess and boarding up stores.

But there were still looters out there, even late into the morning, so you had this unreal juxtiposition where on one side of the street, there were strangers who had banded together just tying to do something helpful, scrubbing graffiti off walls and sweeping up glass. And on the other side of the street, you had people still running into stores with shattered windows and grabbing stuff in broad daylight (the police were useless, FWIW).

It's amazing how people being whoever they are going to be can be oblivious to each other even when they are virtually stapled to each other's foreheads.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope every news outlet that had/has staff arrested files federal lawsuits against police departments far and wide.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The moment when it might have done some good is long since passed, but have they arrested the other three yet?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So noted.

It will be hard to fix.

Your post read sort of dismissive. My mistake.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Alma likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m sure police officers complain when no one “snitches” in the black community.

Sure as shit not a lot of “snitching” in the blue community, either.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Bigger crowd protesting me than ever protested Obama, believe me. Thank you!!

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted