1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Webster likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Visited first restaurant today since early March. Sat in a corner booth. Closest customer was three booths away. Disposable menus. Had to ask for condiments (they weren't on table). Everything was fine. But did not repeat my $35 haircut tip.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Piker!

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mrs. W has rented office space (shared with 2 other people) in our town in NJ for the past year because it is easier for her to do all of her work in a quieter space. She has been working from home since the pandemic because there are a couple of therapists on her work floor and she didn’t feel comfortable with all of the traffic. This weekend we completed fully building out her home office and she gave up her lease.

In the meantime, my office in NYC said that we don’t need to think about returning before at least Labor Day.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You'll get some tax breaks for a home office, too, on all of your utility bills and maybe even on your mortgage payment (if you have one) if you itemize instead of taking the standard deduction. Make sure to check with your accountant.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

a few contacts of mine say they will no longer commute into Manhattan

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My wife was on furlough for a little while. She's back to work tomorrow, but she will be working from home for the foreseeable future. They told her they actually have no idea when they will have people back in the office.

9. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

You can only claim a home office if it is a dedicated space separated somehow from everything else, and is not used for anything else. I had a colleague that had one, And it was basically a little room they built that had a door that he could shut and he did not go in there unless he was working. This was a while ago, tax laws have changed. But if you have an office in your guest room that people also sleep in that's not your office that's just your extra room. I would definitely explore what it needs to be to make sure that you're meeting the requirements.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Friend's large global company outside NYC continues to survey staff on returning to workplace. Not hard to figure the answers.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A number of our clients with NYC offices have done these surveys. The people who want to return to the office are those in Manhattan apartments, especially with kids. No one from the suburbs wants to return yet.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I came to the office today just because. Struggling to focus on work at home lately and I have a shit ton to get done over the next few days. I'll be the only one here today. Peaceful with fewer distractions.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted