1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada (again) does the right thing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 1, 2020.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No stubbies, tho, right?

I loved the stubbies.

Iron_chet and Huggy like this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stubbies have been gone for decades but some breweries bring them back in limited quantities - and larcenous prices - for some brands, sadly the three beers I drink up here - 50, OV and Molson Stock Ale - are not among them. Some bars in Toronto have 50 on draft and it is glorious.

Iron_chet, misterbc and Machine Head like this.
  3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

My Dad worked for Carling Breweries so I grew up stealing his Black Labels, and the occasional Red Cap Ale, but drank Labatt’s 50 as soon as I moved from home....not many others in Calgary drank it, but a few. Made many trips to Whitefish to load up on Coors Banquet, it needed to be refrigerated in those days, in the mid 70s, then pretty well settled into Kokanee, and now mainly PBR. It’s damn good beer after bike riding or yard work.

Iron_chet and Huggy like this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A few years back, at least in Toronto, the hipsters started drinking old school dad beers like 50, OV, Black Label, Stock Ale (even Red Cap made a brief comeback) but abandoned that to guys like me who had never stopped drinking them when the craft beer thing took off here

misterbc likes this.
  5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

There are few things that annoy me more than the craft beer thing. Not that there aren’t good ones, but the implication that any beer brewed “craft” is superior to anything mainstream drives me nuts.

misterbc, Huggy and Iron_chet like this.
  6. Sea Bass

This is not an effort to appear “woke,” but it’s funny that I’m reading a thread with this title while I’m homeschooling my 13 year old on the Indian Act.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could live to be 1,000 and never understand the craft beer phenomenon.
    Now, don't get me wrong. If I'm out at a out of town bar or just looking for a sixer of something different from the bottle shop, I'll look at a Shock Top or something from Free State or something like that.....but if I'm outside sweating my sack off mowing or playing 18 holes, the last thing I'm looking for is a Leinenkugels Berry Weiss.
    Fuck and that.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    misterbc likes this.
  8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Black Label thing is funny. I remember when it had its first big resurgence back in the 80s largely due to the black and white super cool ads they ran.

We don’t really get those beers in Western Canada. I didn’t realize that OV was even still being made. Always drank 50 whenever I was out East for work and could find it.

misterbc likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This coming from someone who is a Labatts virgin......
    What is it compared to?
    Is it Bud Light or is it more hoity-toity?

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not really. All of our non lite beers check in at 5% ABV. I guess Labatt’s flagship beer would be Labatt’s Blue. Probably just a touch more bitter and more flavourful than Bud, Miller, etc.

Boring Canadian Beer regional slang.

At one time Labbatt’s Blue Lite was the number one beer in the country.

Northern Ontario and points West called it Lab Lite. Southern Ontario and points East called it Blue Lite.

I sort of miss the days when you only had American beer if you travelled across the border to get it. Did many road trips to Grand Forks, North Dakota which would see us load up with American beer, junk food (Funyuns!) and occasionally smuggle fireworks.

It was also funny how stigmatized some beer was. Club was seen as “Indian beer” or only drank by trash. Still stuns me how casually we dropped that kind of racist language like it was no big thing.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I prefer brown and red ales, generally. Most mainstream American beers simply don't do it for me. If I'm coming in from mowing the lawn in August, I'm ok with drinking cold dishwater beer, but I'm not putting it into my refrigerator by choice. When it first came out I drank a good bit of Killian's, Coors version, and it was ok... but I found others I liked better, typically imported. I now have the luxury of picking from numerous versions. They cost a little more, but I don't drink enough beer that it really bothers me. I'm willing to pay for the taste and quality that I prefer, whether that's "craft" or imported.

It's pretty much my version of "Life's too short to drink bad wine".

12. Sea Bass

Fair enough. I just seem to run into a ton of people who LOVE to talk about “craft” beer, never once failing to emphasize the modifier. Drives me nuts.

Now it’s craft cocktails, craft sandwiches, craft everything. The grocery store near me now even has a craft soda section.

Draft saved Draft deleted