1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SpaceX Falcon 9 launch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 27, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was for hygiene's sake.
    But seriously, isn't that odd? Generally speaking, aren't military officers at the steps of AF1 or Marine 1 normally at attention and saluting POTUS? This situation was obviously different. Just curious as to why.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Plausible.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was awesome. And refreshing.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The launch was really cool. Was more nervous than I should have been.

Liked seeing the dinosaur get released.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Think anyone who was alive for Challenger gets nervous.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The Science channel showed footage of Challenger about 25 minutes before the Space X launch. I thought it wasn't a good look.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I was most interested to see the booster land aboard ship, and the feed cut out.
    Otherwise, cool.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah I wanted to see the booster return and next thing you see its on the ship.

Yep I was sooooo nervous.

Very cool to see a successful launch.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That’s an officer greeting him - probably a local officer from either Andrews or the Pentagon. So, not one of the Marine Guards.

10. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Two really cool things about today.

1) It made Mom happy since Dad worked at the Cape and launch days were always special.

2) A MAGAn colleague used the launch to say you didn't see anything like this in the previous administration. I reminded him that SpaceX's first launch was in 2009 and that the company has been gearing up for manned flight six years. Of course, he deleted almost the discussion. I count it as a win.

Mngwa and Baron Scicluna like this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

“Launch days” are always special.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was helpful for my kid to see it and put into perspective how difficult human space flight is to achieve, even though we've been doing it for nearly 60 years. He's eight and has only ever known a world in which we have people in orbit around the Earth most (all?) of the time. The fact that the U.S. had never launched a human into space from U.S. soil in his lifetime didn't make much sense to him. It gave him a stark lesson in what the stakes were on Saturday.

When the countdown reached T-minus 1 minute, he clutched a pillow and said, "If this thing explodes, I'm going to cry." I was 8 when Challenger exploded, so that feeling hit home.

It really was cool to see, and both my kids (my daughter is 5) were super into it. They really watched and learned quite a bit during the Science Channel coverage and they were totally into it until Stage 1 landed on the ship. They were bummed the video feed cut out, as was I.

A spectacular achievement for Elon Musk and the rest of the SpaceX team.

Spartan Squad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted