1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The best feature of the first newsroom I was part of, in the mid-1990s, was the punching bag in the darkroom. When the red light wasn't on (i.e. film wasn't being developed), you could go in there and bop it around and pretend it was a public official or editor or complaining parent.

This thread over the last 24 hours reminds me of that.

2. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

But if these are the main reasons why African-Americans have a much higher rate of covid deaths than whites, why aren't the death numbers for Hispanics anywhere near as bad as those for African-Americans? I spent too much time trying to figure it out, and I'm not convinced I know why:

- % of health insurance? No - Hispanics have a significantly lower percentage of health insurance than African-Americans, and I assume that means they get less medical care.
    - Obesity rates? Might be a factor - their obesity rates are between those of African-Americans and those of whites.
    - Diabetes rates? No - their diabetes rates are slightly higher than those of African-Americans.
    - Likelihood of working in jobs that expose them? Doubt it - meatpacking plant workers seem to be disproportionately Hispanic.
    - Something to do with behavior, like the virus spreading in black churches? Maybe - African-Americans are somewhat more active churchgoers than Hispanics, but the difference isn't huge.
    - Could NYC be an issue? Probably not - there are more Hispanics than African-Americans in NYC, though the difference isn't as great as in the U.S. as a whole.

I've only been able to come up with three main reasons, other than wondering if there might some genetic difference as is the case with sickle cell anemia:

- Hypertension rates are lower among Hispanics than African-Americans, and slightly lower among Hispanics than whites (i.e., the difference is greater than it is for obesity).
    - There are a lot more African-Americans than Hispanics in nursing homes. I found a table saying that in 2014, African-Americans made up 14% of nursing home residents while Hispanics made up only 5%. However, whites made up 77%, so that would have to mean the virus hits black nursing home residents harder than whites, which I suppose could be the case.
    - Prisoners, who are disproportionately African-American, have been hard-hit, so that may be a factor.

Still puzzling to me.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a huge number of questions like this about the virus leaving the US aside. Why was the fatality rate in Belgium so much higher than in surrounding countries that are very much like Belgium. How did dysfunctional Greece do such an amazing job containing the virus. Ditto even more dysfunctional Rwanda. It's going to take decades of research to come up with answers.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm pretty impressed, too.

My boss suggested I make use of my heavy bag today. Which reminds me, I need to get a new speed bag.

Nobody has the money to go out?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

CNN is under siege. It’s very odd. One wonders how many protestors are right and left wing professional protestors.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Here's a guess: none.
    Certainly no Trumpists in that crowd. They're not going to protest the murder of a black man by white cops.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not Trumpists...people who want this protest to seem as violent as possible.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

Could there be a more appropriate place for a Trumpist to hang out than Backwater Jack's?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

Trumpist Tweetstorm in 3, 2, 1 ....

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Could we at least remember this the next time people start doing the "Trump's gonna be emperor for life because SUPREME COURT" posts over on the politics thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted