1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Biff Pocoroba

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 26, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Loved the teepee they used to have in centerfield. The cackling Brave logo was great.

2. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

I believe it was in 1983 when they were leading the division late in the summer and took down the teepee to make room for more seats. They immediately went on a horrific losing streak, fell out of first, and "I'll take down your teepee" became our go-to basketball trash talk challenge for a couple of years.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Top 3 name ever in MLB.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Tepee was in left.

CD Boogie likes this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He was no Van Lingle Mungo.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It was 1982 when they first took down the tepee (yes, it was in left) and the Braves lost, I think, 19 of 21, and the Dodgers surged to make it a tight race. The Braves won the division, though, after the Giants' Joe Morgan hit a late home run to beat the Dodgers on the last day of the season. I think they did the same thing in 1983 and the Braves again lost a sizable lead to the Dodgers and that time L.A. won the division.

da man likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had a couple of times when I was the one-man SE at the small PM paper where I had to put out a sports section in the morning, drive three hours in the afternoon to cover Local HS Hoops team in the state playoffs, cover the game and drive three hours back (pre- universal Internet days). By the time I got back, it would be around 1 a.m, and rather than get up at 5:30 to be in the office at 6 a.m., I just banged out my story, then put together most of the section, leaving a couple of spaces for photos, and putting notes where the stories should jump. Wrote a note to the EE about what they needed to finish the section, then got home around 5 a.m. Zonked out for the morning and part of the afternoon, and came back in the office, where the publisher was full of praise for how I managed to get all that done.

Batman likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was a kid I thought Chief Noc-a-Homa lived in it year-round. Hell, he might have. Simpler times back then.

cyclingwriter2 and Liut like this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They had something in one of their game programs in 1972 that depicted the Brave logo displaying many moods. Happy. Sad. Angry. Shifty. Etc. Got a kick out of that. Wish I could find it somewhere.

That same program had photos of Braves players, coaches and their children. Called Chief Noc-a-Homa's kid "Hit-a-Single."

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As I remember, The Atlanta Constitution would put the happy or sad logo in their 1A teases depending on the previous night's result.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Aha! I do remember some tie-in with the previous game. But I also remember all the moods displayed in one graphic somewhere. I THINK that was in the game program, but now I'm not sure. :oops:

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I remember covering a game there, drinking until 4 a.m., going back to the hotel, watching the game again.

Draft saved Draft deleted