1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2019-20 thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I can think of few things about which I am less enthusiastic than the NHL and NBA resuming the 2019-20 season, especially in mid-July. Just let this one go and start up again as normal in October if that proves possible. Treat it like a strike/lockout year.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more.

What are you going to do instead? Go to a baseball game? Go to a concert? Neither will happen for the rest of the year. Travel? Many states are making you quarantine for 14 days if you want to visit. I'm taking a week off in June just so I'm not stuck will all of my vacation time in November/December, and I don't have any clue what to do with it.

I'm bored out of my fucking mind right now and would welcome the distraction offered by weird no-fan games. I am glad, at least, that the NHL is giving up the ruse of trying to complete its regular season. If I'm a Detroit Red Wings player, I want nothing to do with heading to a training camp to play three meaningless games just so there can be a balanced schedule. The 24-team playoff idea is a good one and includes anyone who could have feasibly made a run in the final 10-12 games.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am of two minds here. The logical part says blow it off and come back in the fall. The fan part says it's difficult but it could be done. But the fact that one or two positive tests sinks the whole deal puts me squarely in the logical camp. Shit happens. So you lose a season. The idea is not to lose TWO seasons by trying to save one.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ja would be a great. More believable as a high school kid, too.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the liklihood that the NBA will hold playoffs at a neutral site - will there be a point to have a series longer that best of three?
    And I'm fine with granting the top 7 seeds spots, but I'd do a play in, one game at a time 15 v. 14, winner plays 13, etc. to finally having the 8 seed need a win to get in - just to serve as a prelude to the real deal getting going.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

The NBC regional cable network here, which broadcasts the Celtics, is just starting a replay of Game 5 of the 1976 Finals against the Suns, maybe the most insane NBA game of all time. Well worth watching if you can get their stream.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

On in my living room now. It's the first time I've seen the thing from start to finish. It's incredible.

11. Michael_ Gee

The day after the game, the playgrounds of Cambridge were full of pickup games with kids trying to imitate Paul Westphal's spin moves.
    PS: A case study in how great John Havlicek was.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

This is really interesting for someone my age because I know these players as coaches or as tales from days gone past. Westphal has made my kids let out an "OOOOOHHHHH!!!" several times. This is actually...fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted