1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, colluding probably was the wrong word.

However, were both sides willing, they could easily come to some accommodation for one-half of one year that would amply compensate and protect the rights of both sides in an extraordinary situation that has killed more than 100,000 Americans, has left millions more out of work and has endangered the future of tens of thousands of businesses.

And while I don't begrudge anyone the money they make, a player making $36 million a year is hardly being "robbed blind" by his employer.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He is if the employer is asking him to play 50 percent of the games for 20 or 30 percent of the salary.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

In Curt Schilling's 20s, his K/BB ratio was 2.75.
    Thereafter: 5.51.
    I’m amazed by this.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And that's even before the strikeout rate grew to its current levels.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

And if MLB attendance this year was going to be 35 million (half of the customary 70 million), you'd be right. Instead MLB attendance will be close to zero.

These are not normal circumstances. Should the player be paid the same when there is no money from ticket sales, suite/luxury box sales, concession sales, apparel/souvenir sales, parking revenue, etc?

Apparently MLB players think yes. So, instead, they'll get nothing, baseball will disappear for a year, the popularity of their game will continue to decline, and a lot of people will continue to see them as selfish, overpaid prima-donnas. I remember how well-loved the owners and players were in 1995.

As I said, it would be in the best interest of both sides to come to a reasonable accommodation.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

50 percent is a reasonable accommodation.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The quiz answer: The three MLB players to hit a HR to center at the Polo Grounds were Joe Adcock, Lou Brock and Hank Aaron. I'll be back with more after this word from Rheingold!

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I thought about guessing Ruth and Aaron, just on volume. Oh well. I was clueless.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The players are also facing a greater risk than normal. They would have to deal with travel and having to interact with quite a few other people. They also might have to live away from their families and homes for safety reasons.

Why on Earth would they want to take that risk while getting paid 20 percent of their salaries for 50 percent of the work? That is just insane. The players are right to say no to the owners' current stance. Regan is right. Pro-rated pay (50 percent of the salary for playing 50 percent of the games.) is the reasonable accommodation.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's funny you cite Rheingold because my next guess was going to be Ralph Kiner.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good old Ralph. A man's man. What a life.

12. micropolitan guy

When revenue decreases by significantly more than 50 percent, it isn't. And maybe I missed it but I have not seen anyone suggesting they would be paid only 20 percent. They are also getting credit for a full year of MLB service, even though they may play half a year at most.

We're just gonna disagree. So be it. Funny that the other three pro leagues - who also have those selfish billionaire owners - look as if they will make it work.

Draft saved Draft deleted