1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advance Publications Beg-a-thon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 8, 2020.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe people would've continued subscribing if these papers hadn't given away a now-crappy product for 20 years.

Fredrick and Readallover like this.
  3. adcs2

adcs2 Member

There must be a planned rotation for these beg-a-thon stories. I checked two Advance outlets today and each had a new reporter lobbying for your subscription $$$s.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Missed this earlier. Ogden Newspapers did something similar but what makes this different than a BOGO ad sale? I assume all money has to be spent with the newspaper.

5. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We will know they're really desperate when they say "NOW COVERING JVs!"

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. adcs2

adcs2 Member

Seems like every Tuesday they rotate the plea to a new staffer. It was Wednesday this week, I guess because of the holiday.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

He actually addresses some key problems in the presentation of digital news. There is no hierarchy, no sectioning, particularly in apps. Many sites take a minimum-viable-product approach and automate as many things as possible, which often negates news judgment or the distinction between news content and commentary. Will be interesting to see how he “addresses” these problems in a world of corporate-controlled presentation templates.

jr/shotglass and wicked like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are right about all of that, but as you already know, the people he is trying to placate don't care about the things you are talking about.

Whatever he does, they are going to send him shitty e-mails and say, "fake news."

That was absolute folly. Any changes he does manage to enact, aren't going to win very many people over. And I wouldn't be surprised if it has the opposite effect, with the handful of people who liked the product the way it was, not liking a different iteration.

matt_garth and HanSenSE like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For a while we packaged stories from one section (i.e. business) on our homepage, but that didn't last long. Wonder how many readers that drives away ("another boring business story?") vs. retains.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I started at the S-L, writing high school/college sports, a core interest of the paper's suburban readership. But that readership was mirrored by a blander-than-bland product. The Ledger won its sole Pulitzer for reporting only a few years ago, for a story about a mostly immigrant fishing crew run over by a cargo vessel that, unfortunately, no one outside of the in-the-bag Pulitzer committee gave a shit about.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Advance should use a variant of what National Geographic does with me.

1. I get a cheap - $20 or so - annual subscription.
    2. Receive 9 or 10 issues. They gather dust on my desk, then get recycled unread.
    3. National Geo sends out a renewal notice with a cute baby giraffe on the envelope. Or a baby panda bear. (They're almost extinct!)
    4. I guilt-renew.
    5. Repeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted