1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm for opening responsibly, too.

Fortunately, people in Pittsburgh seem to have taken this seriously (distancing, mask-wearing, etc.).

Unfortunately, it seems like half this fucking city smokes. It's a really good thing COVID-19 never hit here in large numbers, because it would have been real, real bad.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I would be perfectly happy shipping central Pennsyltucky off to Mississippi where it so desperately wants to be.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Could be more furlough claims.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The thing about Twitter is this: If someone posts libel there, Twitter isn't on the hook for it. It enjoys a special carve-out that absolves it of being responsible.

That protection can be removed. If it is, Twitter suddenly becomes a heavily-moderated operation and loses some of its appeal.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you get severance pay when laid off, you can't claim unemployment until the effective date of it ending. So if you lose your job April 30, get severance pay for May, June, July then you can't file until August 1.

So how many people, like me, have lost their jobs but aren't allowed to file yet and aren't being counted?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And lessens traffic on this thread by 85 percent.

Excellent point. I'm sure a boatload of job losses didn't come with severance. But a bunch did.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump is going to remove the protection Twitter has for the lies Trump and his Qanoners tweet?

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I preface this by saying that executive orders should have little power to do much with related to twitter, and that an executive order used to try to punish someone for his own perceived benefit should be impeachable.

But honestly, platforms like twitter also shouldn't get it both ways. On the one hand, if you want to claim that you are just a platform and you can't be held liable or responsible for anything any of your users post, you'd seem to be disavowing that stance when you start putting disclaimers on an individual's tweets.

I'm not calling twitter hypocritical, because they are in an untenable situation. After the election, lawmakers were grandstanding and threatening ubiquitous "regulation" that would hurt the businesses of these social media companies, so they felt the need to placate.

Once they opened that door, they guranteed a situation like this eventually.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Alma likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

the ghostwriter

garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Christie's hatchetman LEADING THE CHARGE!!!!

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It could still happen. You make an interesting point about smoking. I guess I never noticed it growing up there, but your observation about a large percentage of Pittsburgh smoking does feel right.

Pittsburgh taking it seriously doesn't surprise me. It's all about the politics, and if I remember correctly, that city hasn't had a Republican mayor in about a century.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.