1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resistance Journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 19, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Are you suspicious of Smith having worked with Lauer to coordinate the criticism of Farrow? Just curious.

I understand where you are coming from about it creating the opening for Lauer, but I don't think Lauer's piece was received all that well, anyhow, if it helps for you. My sense was more that people were like, "This guy needs to just go away."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. Agreed. I think Lauer used the Smith piece as a way of publishing his own.

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't see many people lining up to back Lauer.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Very true. Ben Smith might be regretting his article right now.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why would they? There isn't advantage to doing that. You aren't going to get cool points for it. And if people don't understand how groupthink works among the media - especially among members of the national media younger than 40 - they just haven't been paying attention.

Liut likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Joe Biden & Tara Reade -- Biased Journalism Is Gutting the #MeToo Movement | National Review

Consider the New Yorker article by Ronan Farrow and Jane Mayer, telling the story of Deborah Ramirez, who claimed that Kavanaugh had exposed himself to her at a party when he was a freshman at Yale University. The reporters were unable to find a single eyewitness to confirm that Kavanaugh had been at the party Ramirez described or anyone who had ever heard Ramirez recount this accusation.

One friend of Ramirez’s told The New Yorker, “This is a woman I was best friends with. We shared intimate details of our lives. And I was never told this story by her, or by anyone else. It never came up. I didn’t see it; I never heard of it happening.”

Farrow and Mayer noted, too, that “in her initial conversations with The New Yorker, [Ramirez] was reluctant to characterize Kavanaugh’s role in the alleged incident with certainty.” In fact, she was willing to go on the record only “after six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney,” at which point “she felt confident enough of her recollections.” Inexplicably, the article was published anyway.

Even worse, media outlets lent credibility to the outlandish tale of Julie Swetnick, who, again without corroboration, alleged that Kavanaugh had “spiked” drinks at parties in high school to facilitate gang rape.

9. Jerry-atric

I hesitate to admit this, but I had some doubts regarding Ms. Swetnick’s interview, even at that moment.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... in which the world was led to believe high school drunk Bart O'Kavanaugh spiked the booze to help run a train.

To quote HST, that was the high water mark, that place where the American wave finally broke and rolled back.

11. Jerry-atric

Ms. Swetnick did not testify under oath. Some forget that. I call her Ms. “Sweathog,” after the 1970s comedy “Welcome Back Mr. Kotter.”

Draft saved Draft deleted