1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Holy Christ, taking money from the med school for the jocks.

I think the only school not in a Power Five conference that should be playing football are BYU, Notre Dame and the service academies.

2. LanceyHoward

I looked at the roster of the ECU tennis squad. Both the men's and women's squads had a majority of foreign students. So for the hell of it I checked Kentucky's tennis squads and they to had mostly foreign players.

Is NCAA tennis dominated by foreign players? There is nothing I find wrong with that. I am just surprised that tennis programs seem to be recruiting from all over the world.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why, but tennis is the most international sport in college athletics. I'd have figured soccer.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any international who can play soccer at that age is already in somebody’s academy. You don’t see a men’s soccer player, even in D-I, make the leap to a top flight side often nowadays.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Serving gay people is not a health risk. Allowing those without masks into your establishment can be. But you knew that.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Serving people without shirts is not a health risk, either.

But the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" line has been mighty popular these days.

It's all about whether "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone . . . " applies all the time or not. Or just when certain people want it to apply.

"This is health, so it's different" doesn't cut it, any more than "This is my religious belief, so it's different." Because tons of businesses don't require masks. Who made Costco arbiter of medical policy?

My take: Any business should be able to refuse to serve anyone it wants. If this action is deemed "denying rights" by society, then that business will suffer for it eventually.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

NCAA could lose $4 billion if no football season is played.

Enough incentive to root like hell for a season not to happen ... without rooting for the virus, of course.

A tricky walk to walk.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One can control putting on a mask. One cannot control being gay. That’s the difference.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The "NCAA," in this case, isn't the bureaucracy headquartered in Indianapolis, which makes almost no money off of college football. The NCAA would be all the schools themselves, and their athletic departments, which, if there's no football season, say bye-bye to a lot of smaller sports, including women's sports, that have helped put and keep kids in college.

Why would anyone want to root for that?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They were not refused service for "being" gay. Nor were they told to leave the store. They could buy anything they wanted in the store. The establishment simply refused to custom-bake a cake that was not in the business' catalogue of celebratory cakes, and the owner offered to make any other baked goods for the men. Previously the business had refused to bake cakes celebrating Halloween.

At my grocer's bakery, they have a book showing all the types of cakes they offer. If I want something not in the book --- say, a cake celebrating the Soviet Union's Victory Day, complete with hammer, sickle and Cyrillic writing --- I probably will be disappointed when I ask if they can make it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The business makes wedding cakes. The men were seeking a wedding cake. Nothing more, nothing less.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

In 1875 Congress passed a Civil Rights Act was passed that was supposed to prohibit segregation (admittedly the law was not widely enforced). In 1883 the Supreme Court, using your logic that a property owner could serve damn well who he wanted ruled it unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court decision legalized segregation. That worked out really well.

Draft saved Draft deleted