1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Sloan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, May 22, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Multiple outlets reporting his death. 23 years coaching the Jazz. I remember him just as much as a hard-nosed Chicago Bulls player.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to believe he coached that team three times longer than Frank Layden, whom I still associate as "Jazz coach"

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I feel like Sloan never quite got his due. Somehow never won Coach of the Year (while guys like Scottie Brooks, Byron Scott and Sam Mitchell have) and was never mentioned with the best of the best coaches in NBA history. But 23 years and 18 consecutive playoffs berths with one franchise says a lot.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Had 3 60-win seasons and couldn't get the award.

Of course we live in a world where Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan combined to win one COY Award and Cotton Fitzsimmons, Bill Fitch and Gene Shue each won twice

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Tweener likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

At least Phil Jackson won it once -- but it took a 72-10 season to do so.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still remember how Sloan and Norm Van Lier were a thorn in the side of the Warriors throughout the 1974-75 West finals. RIP.

Liut and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sloan/Stockton/Malone should've won a few titles. They were so fucking good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Tweener likes this.
  9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I remember Jerry Sloan as a player. That was one tough dude. Not surprising that he was a success as a coach. RIP, Coach Sloan.

Liut likes this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

IIRC, post-NBA playing career Sloan accepted the head coaching position at his alma mater, Evansville, only to change his mind. During what would have been Sloan's first season, Evansville's plane went down.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Bulls beat the Pistons in 7 that year
    Sloan, Van Lier, Chet Walker, Butterbean Love and Tom Boerwinkle for the Bulls
    Dave Bing, Bob Lanier, Stu Lantz, Curtis Rowe and Don Adams for the Pistons

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted