1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Last Friday I went to a restaurant in town and enjoyed a huge catfish platter. The last time before that where I dined in was March 16, right before the hammer came down.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd love to go to a restaurant, order a cocktail and have a nice dinner cooked by somebody else. But I don't see that happening in Massachusetts this year. Danny Meyer of the Meyer Restaurant Group (Union Square Cafe, many others) had a cheery interview on Bloomberg today in which he said the traditional restaurant was NEVER coming back, at least not the high end restaurants he specializes in.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think that's bit pessimistic.
    We've overcome plenty of outbreaks over the years. I hope COVID isn't the thing that brings down society.
    It might be a while, but to say the traditional restaurant is never coming back is extreme.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Meyer knows the biz. If he’s bearish on it, I’d be hesitant to disagree.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To reemphasize a point: Meyer was speaking of the kind of restaurants he runs, where people run $100 per person dinner tabs no problem. That's a very tiny percentage of restaurants

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I had to venture into the retail world this week
    I had to replace my iPhone 6s after I downloaded an upgrade only to lose Safari
    Bought an iPhoneSE at the AT&T store
    I was the only customer on the store and customers after me had to wait outside
    Then my George Foreman Grill I had for 20 years died today
    Had to go to Super Target to get a new one
    Not too different than Publix

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True, but I would think the high-end restaurant, especially a red-leather-bo0th steakhouse like Ruth's or Mortons, will do just fine since most of their seats are in pods with plenty of space between them.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

RIP

[​IMG]

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It was a great soldier but the new one will be MUCH easier to clean
    Plus it’s a necessity
    I use it to cook bacon

10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

We enjoy eating at MOD Pizza, where you can watch them make your “pie,” much like Cosmo Kramer recommended. I have my fingers crossed that it does not go out of business due to COVID-19.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Morton's just packed up shop in Denver for good this week.

Morton’s The Steakhouse won’t reopen in downtown Denver - BusinessDen

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

There are several of these kinds of places around. We've thought MOD was the worst of the lot, but not bad enough to not go there if we are in that vicinity.
    The best is Pizza Press, has old-time newspaper decor and appropriately named pizza selections, like Publish Your Own. The first one was Pieology.
    There also is BLAZE. There might be a couple of others.

Draft saved Draft deleted