1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the real issue with the Reade accusation is and always has been the reaction from the Left in regards to Biden, compared to their reaction when it came to Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination.
    The "Believe all women!" chants and the rush to vilify Kavanaugh over a sketchy (at best) accusation from 40 years ago, suddenly changed to "We didn't mean believe all women ..." and a shoulder shrug when Biden was accused of something very similar a few months later. It's very hypocritical, yet the Left wants to pretend it isn't -- or they openly admit that it's fine, since if it helps to oust Trump then anything is acceptable, no matter the cost.

It's a similar situation with Biden's comments today. I get what he was trying to say, but if any Republican politician had said that -- no matter how squeaky clean their record on race relations -- their career would be over by dinner time. The Democrats and Lefty Twitter would eat them for lunch and shit out the bones by 2 p.m.
    Biden, since he's the last obstacle between Trump and a second term, gets a pass.
    Calling out Biden for this has more to do with pointing out the hypocrisy among the Left on these matters, and less to do with the actual content of his statements. And the more Biden talks, the more he exposes that hypocrisy.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, you think a Republican's career would be over if that Republican said something that could be deemed to be insensitive to blacks?

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That’s a view many hold, and I get it. Don’t really agree because I think these are two very different situations. In both cases, though, the accusers were heard and it’s up to everyone to make up their own minds.

One thing I strongly disagree with, however, is that a Republican’s career would be over by dinner.

The last four years have shown that to be false.

4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've got to say Trump's insistence on policies likely to kill off his own voters (no mail-in voting, open the churches) is a UNIQUE campaign strategy.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If churches are so essential let’s start whacking Em with a real estate tax.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Churches have been allowed to reopen here for a couple of weeks now. Most of the UMC pastors I know have kept theirs closed to protect their congregations. As our senior pastor said, "The people who are at church every time the doors open are the ones most at risk. We aren't taking any chances."

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Should I feel guilty about getting a stimulus check when I'm not doing poorly? Because I feel that.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your purchasing power is being continuously eroded at a clip well beyond what a one-time thousand dollar freebie can offset. The mere act of mailing those checks, which is going to be funded with yet more monetized debt is just going to erode your purchasing power even further. So you might as well cash the check and consider it to be a little lube to help with the rest of what they're doing to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    OscarMadison and Cosmo like this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Trumpers? Who are they in this story?

Biden is receiving considerable advice - perhaps even pressure - to pick an African American woman as his VP, and perhaps, specifically, Stacey Abrams. That doesn't have anything to do with Trump.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.