1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It may spread through hair.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Then let's shut everything down until next year.

You're going to assume some level of risk whenever you leave your house. The only difference between that and going to the grocery store is that someone is touching you, and that someone is wearing a fresh set of gloves for each customer they interact with.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly my experience on Wednesday.

I was told by someone who works in a state government office out here that a graphic was being mulled being made that said: "Don't roll the dice: 1 in 300 are contagious."

If that's the case, I'll take my chances. And I bet many, many others would as well.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how you read my post and came to, "Then let's shut everything down until next year."

I was responding to you saying that you couldn't have felt more safe inside.

I went grocery shopping yesterday at a Trader Joe's where there was a half hour line to get into the place because they were limiting the number of people in the store. I did it. It doesn't meant I felt safe being around the people I was around or in an environment that I hadn't controlled.

I have no sense of complacency about this virus or about how it is spread.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Who wants to play four-handed games???

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Good for you. Let us know how many people you wound up killing.

Appointment or walk-in?

My state's Phase 2 starts at 5 p.m. today. Phase 1 started two weeks ago. Only place I've been to under the looser restrictions has been a Batteries+Bulbs place.

What's the number they allow in the store?

I ask that because EVERYBODY I know who goes to Trader Joe's talks of a 30-minute line, whereas the grocers I frequent (165 and 238 people allowed) never have a line.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess I meant to say more safe in terms of the current environment. Nothing is normal, nor will it be for some time.

But in that particular environment, I think they did everything they possibly could to keep their customers safe.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Online check in. It was a Great Clips ... my normal barber is still shuttered and quite honestly, I don't know if they'll be able to figure out how to check people in online and operate in that capacity. It's a small, old-school place with very little space inside the facility.

GC does not take appointments, but with the online check in, it at least gives you an idea of when you'll need to arrive so you don't have to spend a lot of time milling around outside around others.

9. BTExpress

Excellent. That's my place.

Except because of demand, most of the time not even online check-in has been available. I just checked, and only 1 of the three open within 35 miles has online check-in, and it's an estimated wait time of 171 minutes.

I'll try next week.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You GOT A FUCKING HAIRCUT?

[deep pull]

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mine opened at 9, signup opened at 9:05. I got in and was out the door by 9:30. By that time, there were already 12 names on the wait list. So it definitely pays to try to get in right when they open.

12. BTExpress

That's what I would have tried had the one 3 miles away been open. As it was, only option was the border state 35 miles away. I saw the 9:05 signup, and by 9:10 it wasn't available anymore. Oh, well. Wife can have a few more days to play with my mop.

Cosmo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted