1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems to me the smart play is to let the Cowboys franchise you while you wait until the new TV deal is finalized.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe that was the right call before the pandemic, but I'm guessing he is going to end up regretting passing on that latest offer.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Seems like people should stop trusting Chris Simms. This isn't the first big thing he's gotten wrong lately.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Major Applewhite would have gotten it correct

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Colt McCoy?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That report about Prescott has been refuted now, but - Kirk Cousins got around $33M/year in free agency, and that was a couple years ago. I think he was one of the last "true" free agent QBs that hit the market in his prime, without a significant injury or similar baggage. I'm sure there is going to be a bump down this next year for revenue, but I imagine a huge portion of the NFL's revenue pie is from TV money anyway, and it is unclear if there is a breaking point as to the 'worth' of football. A quick Google search has a couple guys sitting around $33M to $35M a year, so Prescott at $40M doesn't seem crazy to me. I'm not sure I'd want to pay him that, if I was running a team, but if he gets to true free agency he's going to get around that money, somewhere between $33M and $40M/year.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There will be a one-year hit to all NFL finances. But it will be about the only element of our economy that has that V-shaped recovery. Prescott should sit tight and let the franchise tag carry him ever upward. Jones should see that and do otherwise.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Cousins got 3 yr/$84M on his first free agent deal with it being 100% guaranteed I believe. He just signed an extension that is basically 2/$66M guaranteed.

The market is what it is. Ryan Tannehill is getting just south of $30M/annually to basically run the tread off of Derrick Henry's tires. I don't really understand why anyone has a probably with Dak Prescott getting the type of money Carson Wentz or Jared Goff got. Pat Mahomes is going to absolutely break the system and frankly he should. The other guys, most notably DeShaun Watson and Lamar Jackson need to cash out soon because Mahomes is going to be the absolute ceiling. There won't be another labor agreement with quarterbacks making $40-50M/annually.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Sure there will, unless you think the NFL is going to somehow stop being profitable. The salary cap keeps salaries kind of under control, but revenue sharing keeps pushing against the controls with success. The contract agreed to this year goes for 10 years. By then, Mahomes and Jackson will be the Brady and Brees of the league if they're lucky.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The new agreement is more about the floor than the ceiling though. I think it's going to come down to simple owner collusion and the idea that Pat Mahomes' contract is the ceiling. If not he could just agree to whatever the equivalent of what a favored nations deal would be.

The rookie cap was supposed to do two things for the quarterback position -- get more of them selected earlier because teams don't have to give out the Sam Bradford/Jamarcus Russell type of contract immediately AND save teams from chunking $30M/annual contracts at average quarterbacks like Tannehill, because you could probably get similar play from a young draft pick on a cheaper deal.

11. Michael_ Gee

Collusion can be the most expensive deal of all. Ask MLB.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Beyond disappointed to find Irv Eatman can't get a blue checkmark on Twitter. How soon we forget...

Draft saved Draft deleted