1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resistance Journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 19, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The MeToo stuff got pretty lazy about differentiating between sexual harrassment, unwanted touching, and rape. A lot of people were lumped in boats they didn't belong in. I still have a problem about the term "unwanted advances" - in a professional environment - whether someone welcomes interest from another person or not, shouldn't determine whether the behavoir is acceptable or not. Repeated? Sure.

Liut likes this.
  2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

“Grab ‘em by the pussy.” LOL.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Farrow's editor weighs in:

The NYT did Lauer a real favour

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get that when you are a "big time" hire at a "big time" publication you are expected to make a splash. So I'll give Smith a pass, that said - I also see more and more publication publish the "results" of an investigation whether it is ultimately newsworthy or not because of the cost outlay more than the journalistic merit.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Alma, that's one of the best damn takes I've seen around here in a while.

Alma likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

Did you read the link or just reflexively comment because it's from Slate?

Jerry-atric likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I read it. The passage about Nevils is absurd.

But whatever. It's basically nuanced litigation at this point. Smith hit his mark with the resistance journalism line. It's one a lot of people just don't want to hear. Moralism is rampant in journalism now. It used to be so thick and ridiculous on the right that you'd practically choke on it. Now the mainstream/left media has it with the essay/critique/commentary/whatever you want to call it. It's about being on the right side of history for nearly everyone now. And it has to have personal meaning, too, a kind of emotional advocacy that Twitter rewards.

Robin Toner's approach wouldn't be dynamic enough now. Wouldn't have enough personal identity in it. Or her work would somehow lack empathy toward any number of aggrieved groups who can't be understood unless seen through a lens that a reporter must learn about in order to be right.

Facts are now gauged for moral quality. They can hurt, you know.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  10. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Looks like he got you there, huh?

11. Regan MacNeil

It's funny to see you use the word "nuanced" given your predilection for assigning fact to your opinions.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nah. I'm probably unfair on some of this stuff. I can appreciate I'm pushing the gas pedal closer to the floor to make a point.

That said, I sometimes get the impression that bringing up certain topics and arguments are gauche because they lack the right nuance or credentialing. I'm happily an outsider of journalism's inner circles (which, to some degree is hurting journalism more than some may appreciate.) It's certainly hurt literary fiction, an industry driven for a good 35-40 years by people who were mostly interested in weird, absurdist plots, arcane and idiosyncratic writing styles and progressive theory. The result is a bunch of MFAs writing for other MFAs (which is kind of how they want it) while the names Grisham, King Patterson and Baldacci still grace the top ten of the current bestseller list.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Liut, Jerry-atric and Regan MacNeil like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted