1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Recent grads. Also, eighth graders who will be freshmen in the fall can play.
    I've heard that some seniors-to-be in west-central and northwest Illinois near the border have been calling some of the private/Catholic schools in eastern Iowa to see about enrolling because a.) they don't think there will be fall high school sports in Illinois and b.) they might be able to play in the summer baseball/softball season since Illinois canceled its season.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

*shrug* In these times of pandemic, the search for entertainment has led me back.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Just what Davenport Assumption and Iowa City Regina need ... more players to choose from! ;)

JBHawkEye likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Interesting in light of the NFHS guidelines coming out yesterday. That would put Iowa at Phase 3 of a three-phase guide to opening, where "moderate risk" sports and competitions can begin (baseball and softball fall under the "moderate risk" banner, though it could be considered "lower risk" with proper cleaning of equipment and use of masks by participants). Is Iowa going to have players/coaches/umpires, etc. use masks?

The NFHS guidelines that came out did not include a phase where "higher risk" sports, including football and wrestling, can resume practices and competitions.

5. JBHawkEye

It's got all of the recommendations — constant cleaning of equipment, everyone brings their own water bottles, no concession stands, etc. Masks are optional, from the guidelines I've seen. No other sports can hold their usual summer activities yet.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

Forgot to add: Fan attendance? Media? Which other high school sports play in the summer there?

7. JBHawkEye

It's just baseball and softball. Fall and winter teams that like to go to team camps, etc., can't do that this summer — not that there would be any, anyway.
    Fans and media can be at games — nobody other than players and coaches are allowed at practice — but they want social distancing, and districts can limit the number of spectators. I know some of the schools in my area may want to play baseball games at the minor-league ballpark if there are no games there, just because it's big and people can spread out. Most schools have small bleachers, so fans just show up with their own chairs.
    I would imagine the ADs have been told to enforce all of that. These are the first high school games anywhere since everything got shut down, and I would imagine there has been a not-so-subtle don't-screw-this-up message.

I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How many people go to high school baseball games in Iowa? In Massachusetts social distancing would be no problem.

9. MileHigh

In the summer, I would bet more than you think. Baseball here is somewhat well attended, even though it's a spring sport. Softball is a fall sport here.

The fact some Iowa schools want to play in minor league stadiums would tell you, yeah, there's a decent crowd that would be showing up.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

OK. Just didn't know. I've been to state title games here that had like 250 people at 'em.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I anxiously await Phase II - when media can attend high school games, but parents can’t. It might be the only way to save newspapers.

Michael_ Gee, PaperDoll and MileHigh like this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not hurting King Football in Ohio — they just announced expanded high school football playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted