1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Resistance Journalism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, May 19, 2020.

1. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Generic investigative journalist job X. Obviously choosing what to report or not report is an editorial decision. I fully agree that it's not a binary choice between Lauer being a scumbag or Farrow an embellisher. Both can be true.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this: "It isn't Farrow's job to take down Matt Lauer. Or any journalist's job."

Sure if Farrow set out to take down Matt Lauer regardless of where accurate reporting led, that's not his job. But if accurately reporting led to Matt Lauer being taken down, that's on Lauer, not Farrow.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Lauer's in particular looks to be a pretty diligent and compelling takedown of many Farrow claims. It begs one question: Will Lauer be suing for defamation? I'm going to guess he won't because of depositions and the high wall that any public figure has to climb in order to win. But I'd kind of like to see what would happen in the event of litigation.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The stuff I do isn't as important as what Farrow's worked on. But it doesn't mean we don't have the same goals. We go where the information takes us and try to report the truth. Maybe Farrow has an agenda. Who doesn't? What's important is his information. Is it accurate?

Where I disagree with you is that we're not "choosing" between Farrow and Lauer. What the NYT has done here -- whether it wanted to or not -- is question Farrow's motives/reporting to the point Lauer can now come out and say, "I was wronged here. This guy made enough mistakes that I was treated unfairly." This is beginning of an attempted Matt Lauer comeback tour.

That forces us to choose who we believe: Farrow or Lauer?

The NYT story makes it clear the writer talked to Lauer off-the-record. I don't know how you can look at the Lauer piece linked above and not see that his viewpoint absolutely influenced Ben Smith's approach. Who is more compromised here, really: Smith or Farrow?

Again, I've never understood the jealousy journalists have for each other. We really do like to tear down one another.

Slacker likes this.
  5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

It’s a good thing and not always “jealousy.” I would rather be in a profession that upholds standards than the “blue line of silence” mentality.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As it relates to Lauer raping a woman? I'm not sure it is accurate. It seems to be in question. It would appear the people Farrow claims Nevils told about her encounter with Lauer do not recall or rebut what Farrow wrote.

As for the importance of it... the fact that it is important doesn't mean truthiness is more allowable. Nothing is so important that the truth can't get in the way of it.

7. Elliotte Friedman

You're right about this. None of us are beyond reproach. Sometimes I think it goes well beyond that.

But your basic point is correct.

Jerry-atric likes this.
  8. Elliotte Friedman

I think we're looking at different things, which is fine. I agree with you the accuracy is critical. But, the more I think about it, I also see this as a direct shot on Farrow's credibility, an effort for Lauer to get himself back into good graces.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can understand Lauer not wanting to be labeled a rapist when he doesn’t think he was one.

Understand that, in many cases, criminal prosecution isn’t even bothered with. The cases are tried in the media, where the accused are, in many cases, assumed guilty. Or, on college campuses, they’re tried through a university system under pressure to deliver a preferred verdict, lest it get sued under Title IX and be exposed by the media.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Thanks! This was the answer I hoped for.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This, BTW, is how a journalist who cares about accuracy and facts writes:

Obama Camp Thinks Democrats Can Rise in South

JMO but, these days, the NYT doesn't read like this sometimes.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Abby Martin is the Queen of Resistance Journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted