1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8A3FC067-C9B8-4F1D-A311-E0E7EDB72BEC.jpeg

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We average 500 per Sunday. Since going to streaming, it’s up to 3,500.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing. Combo of factors but still amazing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I am shocked — shocked and appalled, I tell you! — to discover that the Fake Republican Jeebus crowd would do something like this.

In the final third of director Nick Sweeney’s 79-minute documentary, featuring many end-of-life reflections from McCorvey—who grew up queer, poor, and was sexually abused by a family member her mother sent her to live with after leaving reform school—the former Jane Roe admits that her later turn to the anti-abortion camp as a born-again Christian was “all an act.”

“This is my deathbed confession,” she chuckles, sitting in a chair in her nursing home room, on oxygen. Sweeney asks McCorvey, “Did [the evangelicals] use you as a trophy?” “Of course,” she replies. “I was the Big Fish.” “Do you think you would say that you used them?” Sweeney responds. “Well,” says McCorvey, “I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.” She even gives an example of her scripted anti-abortion lines. “I’m a good actress,” she points out. “Of course, I’m not acting now.”

Sweeney shows the video of McCorvey’s confession to her friends and acquaintances on the pro-abortion and anti-abortion sides, including pro-choice activist Charlotte Taft who, on the verge of tears, says, “That just really hurts because it’s big stakes. It’s just really big stakes.”

Reverend Schenck, the much more reasonable of the two evangelical leaders featured in the film, also watches the confession and is taken aback. But he’s not surprised, and easily corroborates, saying, “I had never heard her say anything like this…But I knew what we were doing. And there were times when I was sure she knew. And I wondered, Is she playing us? What I didn’t have the guts to say was, because I know damn well we’re playing her.” Reverend Schenck admits that McCorvey was “a target,” a “needy” person in need of love and protection, and that “as clergy,” people like Schenck and Benham were “used to those personalities” and thus easily able to exploit her weaknesses. He also confirms that she was “coached on what to say” in her anti-abortion speeches. Benham denies McCorvey was paid; Schenck insists she was, saying that “at a few points, she was actually on the payroll, as it were.” AKA Jane Roe finds documents disclosing at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” from the anti-abortion movement to McCorvey.​

Jane Roe’s Deathbed Confession: Anti-Abortion Conversion ‘All an Act’ Paid for by the Christian Right

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He's a magician, not a clown. I like the mnemonic, MMM to help myself keep track.

Mayor, minister, magician. Clown is an easy mistake to make on this one, but remember, there is no M in clown.

Draft saved Draft deleted