1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s like the joke about Springsteen concerts — more black people on stage than in the crowd.

TowelWaver and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The best players in basketball tried and failed to get in MJ's head. But yeah, Super Karen was going to pull it off.

OscarMadison and Jerry-atric like this.
  4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I can hear the Galifinakis voiceover (from The Hangover) "SHE'S A NICE LADY!!" (talking about Heather Graham, the stripper Stew married).

OscarMadison and Roscablo like this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Her plastic surgeon is a wealthy man.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Hehir was on Dan Patrick this morning and said Malone refused and Bryon Russell never answered requests to talk.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's interesting about Malone -- because at least through the doc you don't see him in a way that would make it understandable.

Jordan's retired and they are in Chicago and he goes by the facility to say hi; Malone goes on the bus after losing in the Finals to see him. That doesn't strike me as a guy who refuse. Hell Ewing talked and if there's one guy who would have said no it's him.

But Malone did retire and essentially just left. He showed up for his Hall of Fame induction a decade ago but outside of that it's like he's disappeared. You never see him on anything or at anything

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I listened to the Hehir interview on Monday and he said Malone “declined.” That’s about the same as “refused” but a little different.

I doubt Malone turning down a request to do the doc was out of spite for Jordan. Malone has been pretty absent from public life since retiring and no one can blame him for not coming out to rehash the most bitter part of his professional life. I have to believe that these guys who never won a ring — yet were damn close — still have a hard time with that.

And Bryon Russell? Why would he want any part of that?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I thought the most interesting thing Hehir noted during this interview was the confluence of events that made Jordan this international icon. Of course he was he a legendary player, but he also came into the league the same time as a commissioner in David Stern who knew how to globalize the game. He came at the same time satellite television began carrying games all over the world, as American pop culture is proliferating around the globe and as televised tabloid journalism is at its peak.

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Next up is Lance, and I will be interested to see if the "showrunners" [what an infinitely stupid word] get the perspective of Armstrong's teammates similar to what "The Last Dance" elicited.

Maybe that's a common thread of being successful in a team sport: You have to be a prick to your teammates.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Ted Williams, famed as being a prick to media and many outsiders, was beloved by his teammates. Wayne Gretzky, Tom Brady, there are all sorts of success stories of players who were well liked and got on well with their teammates.

Dog8Cats likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted