1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kavanaugh coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Patchen, May 17, 2020.

1. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for serious replies, all while knowing this is a loaded question.

However, is there a good-faith analysis somewhere about what the media got wrong and what it got right during the Kavanaugh uproar?

There seems to be significant fair criticism of the coverage and it is easy for me to see how some would regard it as destructive, false and partisan.
    I'm also aware that when people are testifying and tweeting out sworn declarations in an issue of this magnitude, it is going to get covered.
    When I look back at a few of the stories, I see examples where readers were given opportunities to weigh the credibility of the accusations, if they took the time. Those opportunities are often easy to overlook.

Again, I'm looking for some serious discussion of this issue.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The biggest mistake made was everyone hopping on Avenatti's clown car - again.
    That was an unforced error and made a lot of people look like fools.
    And I still contend all of that might have gone down differently if he found other places to satisfy the attention he so clearly needed.
    Hopefully prison will solve that problem.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Tip of the cap, sir!

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Kavanaugh seems like a pompous windbag and his paranoid reaction in front of the committee to the accusations made me think there was some fire to the smoke.
    However, there was no proof that anything happened. It was he-said, she-said. And her friends didn't corroborate anything as far as the facts -- just what she told them, hearsay that never makes it in a court of law.
    Kavanaugh's demeanor and choice of words during the hearings, rendered him, in my opinion, unfit to be on the bench. But that's the only reason.

lakefront and BWoronoff like this.
  6. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Without going back through a lot of stories, I don't know that I have a good answer to your original question. But as Hondo said, whether Kavanaugh did what he was accused of or not, he made it abundantly clear that he has no business being a Supreme Court justice. That was by far the most important revelation, and I'd say it got lost in everything else.

lakefront and BWoronoff like this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I like beer!

Please don't make me cry.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I have calendars from decades ago proving I'm an OK guy!

swingline likes this.
  9. sportsfan22

sportsfan22 New Member

My thinking on it was Kavanaugh and his buddy were drunk, and they did what drunk punks in college do, act like jerks. They probably wrestled her, tried to scare her, and coped a feel in the process. She remembered it being more serious and more threatening.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Nah. I think they got drunk and tried to f*** her even though she didn't want to.

lakefront likes this.
  11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

What happened to the 1977 Gator Bowl MVP that I missed?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was Cavanaugh with a "C."

Draft saved Draft deleted