1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There was also that color rush debacle with the Jets and Bills a few years back. The Bills wore all-red uniforms, the Jets wore all-green, and besides it looking hideous, tons of color blind people complained because they couldn't tell them apart. So you'd probably get some of that if you went color-on-color all the time.

I think having one team in colored jerseys and another in white also helps the players in a chaotic sport like football, where bodies are flying around all over the place. Gotta imagine it's easier for a quarterback and officials to quickly pick players out of a crowd when there's a stark contrast like that.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I never particularly cared for the dynastic period design. Just kind of boring, and whatever tweaks they made over the years only made them worse. Unfortunately, the new design seems to have built on that tradition.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

And now that I see the pic, I remember they actually changed the design between the draft and the first game, because I clearly remember Bledsoe’s blocky “11,”” which is not the case on the draft jersey he held up.

I actually liked this uniform better than any of the ones that have followed, but nothing beats the minuteman.

3AACDE04-28BE-4145-9360-F10677B71B1B.jpeg

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No. Pete Carroll announced the week of the USC-UCLA game in 2008 that 'SC would wear their dark jerseys at the Rose Bowl. USC was supposed to lose a timeout at the start of each half, but the NCAA said it would only lose one, at the start of the first half. Rick Neuheisel then burned a timeout after that. In the offseason, the NCAA football rules committee changed the rule to simply to teams must wear contrasting colors.

Batman likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This thread triggered a memory from when John McKay was the USC coach. UCLA was wearing mesh jerseys that were so transparent you could read the company name on the shoulder pads. The numbers were very hard to read. At his weekly meeting with beat reporters, which was very casual, someone asked, hypothetically, what he thought might happen if he somehow became the UCLA coach. Off the record, he said, "The first thing I would do is burn those fucking uniforms."

Baron Scicluna and Michael_ Gee like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Georgia and Florida have gone red-on-blue a few times in their annual game since then.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I really hate it when writers talk about the Packers' shareholders and them being "publicly owned." The shares have no value. They cannot be sold and generate no dividend. The shareholders have virtually no power in deciding anything.

Packers have $385M in savings to help, if needed

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sometime around 1980, the NFL imposed a rule that all uniform numerals for dark jerseys had to be white, supposedly to guarantee visibility on teevee screens on the blurry, low-res screens of the time.
    Previously the Lions and Chargers and I believe the Saints had had silver or gold numerals with white borders. The new rule nixed that. (For some reason the Rams and Raiders were exempted -- their yellow or silver numerals were ok.)

Now in the 21st century, teevee screens are all high-def so I suppose they don't worry about it any more.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's still not a bad idea to have contrast to help the fans in attendance. One of the high school basketball teams in our area has black jerseys with dark red numbers, and you can't read those numbers from 20 feet away.
    I also remember LSU busting out some alternate gold football jerseys for a couple of seasons in the Gerry DiNardo era. They looked cool up close, but the numbers were white with a thin border and were impossible to read from the stands. They fixed them by adding a border after the first season, but it only helped a little. Then they made the numbers purple, which helped a lot more. Then they got rid of them entirely.

Gold-Jersey.jpg

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is either the Raiders’ new stadium or the biggest Roomba ever created.

Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That made me think something my brother had when we were kids.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted