1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the most unsettling, racist thing I have seen in a long time.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 5, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, this is an interesting personality insight:
    The former police detective whose actions in the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia were defended as a citizen’s arrest was stripped of his law enforcement certification and power to arrest a year before the deadly encounter, according to personnel records acquired by The Washington Post.

Gregory McMichael’s certification was suspended in February 2019 after repeated failures to complete required training, according to documents from the Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office, including a warning in 2014 that McMichael had neglected to finish mandatory firearms and use-of-force courses.​
    Ex-cop accused in death of Ahmaud Arbery skipped use-of-force training — The Washington Post

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Everything?

That's a lie?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You know what I mean.

And it's definitely doubtful that he knows the citizens arrest laws. Also no way could Travis have a claim of self defense just because Arbery reached for his gun.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Bezos Post once again kicks the AJC's ass on this story. This won't make Trump happy. Expect the attacks on the USPS to continue in the name of hurting Amazon. Then you can expect tweets about how the McMichael terrorists were "treated very badly" by the media and the judicial system. Defense gets one hard-core Trumpist on the jury, which hangs.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He's going to get eaten alive in court.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I hope you're correct, but I don't know anymore.

Any chance this gets moved out of Brunswick County courts? Given the actions of the local DA, I feel like there's no way prosecutors get a fair shake from a Brunswick jury.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Brunswick is the city, which is in Glynn County.
    Anyway, it might not be a bad idea to keep it there. Better chance to get African-Americans on the jury since Brunswick has a majority black population. The rich white people on St. Simons Island don't let themselves get caught with jury duty.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

How dare you besmirch Davis Love III like that.

playthrough likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I went to Atlanta last Aug for first time and it’s was a pleasant experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted