1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Gyms haven't reopened here yet, but this is what's up on my gym's website.

Seems promising?

More on airPHX

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sounds great if it's real. Next comes how expensive is it, and how available is it if it works?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He was texting with the barber throughout the shutdown. When he told me the story, I said "I guess he had regulars he likes more than you."

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The gym claims to have it. We shall see when gyms are allowed to reopen.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and TigerVols like this.
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm curious how much everyone is interacting with close family (who do not live within the household). We have my parents, my wife's parents, as well as my sister's and my sister-in-law's families all within 30 minutes driving distance. We live next door to my wife's parents. We have very minimal in-person interaction with them, and what interaction we have takes place in the yard, often with a mask on.

My son's birthday was in April, our daughter's birthday was Monday. For my son, we had a car parade drive by the house. My parents, sister and sister-in-law pulled into the driveway. For my daughter's birthday, we set up chairs well apart in the yard, put the cake on a picnic table and people served themselves. It was, quite honestly, stressful because people would get comfortable and start to forget to keep their distance unless I reminded them.

I know my mom is really struggling with the disconnect between her and my kids (and us). I think we all are to a lesser extent. I'm personally ready to have us all be able to get back together, however, my sister (a veterinarian technician) is about to go back to work, which will increase her exposure as she interacts (minimally) with clients. I don't feel comfortable with her level of exposure, but I can't possibly see a way to say, "Well, we can all get together except you." So I'm stuck feeling like it's an everyone or no one proposition.

This whole thing sucks.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid to answer this for being totally shamed on here. So I'll just say, I have exhibited best practices and stayed away from a close friend who has been home-bound for 80 days (she's on the high end of catching this). Though I did golf on Tuesday. (Not very well, per usual.)

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Drinking at home <<<<drinking with friends/clients

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The only two people I’ve interacted with (within 10 feet) in 9 weeks are the concierge in my building to pick up packages and a maintenance guy who had to come into my apartment to do an emergency fix. I’ve only been out of my apartment a few times in that same amount of time. I have no underlying conditions and am in good health but this thing scares the shit out of me and I have no interest in going anywhere or seeing anyone. I’m lucky to be able to stay home. I FaceTime and have Zoom calls with friends and family and that’s been enough for me.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We were having some home repairs done in March and when things were stopped there was a hole in the wall of the laundry room (covered with Tyvek) where a new fan was supposed to go. Guy's coming back this morning. Not entirely joyous about this, but can't live with a hole in the wall either. Mask's right here on my desk for when I open the door. I will go play golf when the place I play processes my annual membership fee. Sent it Monday, they should have it. I've played many rounds where I only saw my partners on the tee and the green.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The family thing gets a little tricky for us, too. My wife's mother and her two sisters all live within 20 minutes of us. We are used to all seeing each other constantly. My mother-in-law is extremely high risk due to her age and a battle with lung cancer that left her with serious respiratory issues. Family members visit her, but she sits in her garage while the visitors remain well outside it, over 10 feet away. Sometimes she forgets and tries to walk over to my wife to hand her something.

It's also not as if the rest of us aren't at risk. My wife is the youngest of the three sisters. I'm the youngest of the brothers-in-law at 48. My wife and I both have respiratory issues, asthma in my case. They are very well controlled with medication, but I sure don't want to mess with it.

My wife's oldest sister and her husband have both of their adult children living with them. They are in their 20s. My nephew works at a home for adults with Autism and other similar mental disabilities, so he is at a very high risk for exposure. My niece wanted us there for a celebration yesterday, which led to my wife having to remind her again why that is not happening. I honestly don't know when that will feel safe.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We have taken the bubble approach. We are really tight with our next-door neighbors and a family two houses down. When this all started, we all fully locked down for a few weeks. Then we started texting and decided if they’ve been isolated for three weeks and we have been isolated for three weeks, then it would be safe to let the kids play together and all of us sit around together on somebody’s back deck.

Nobody goes outside the bubble. We coordinate grocery and liquor store deliveries. Nobody leaves the street without asking the rest if they need anything.

It also helps that there hasn’t been a new C19 case in our county in several weeks. When it hits hard here, we will go back into full lockdown again.

A guide to negotiating a covid “bubble” with other people

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted