1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Strat-O-Matic Memories Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 28, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I think cards and dice is the way to go. That's a personal opinion, but there's a tactile experience involved that adds to the enjoyment.

We spend enough time on devices in our lives that a material boardgame seems like a nice change of pace.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's some of the feedback that I've heard, that the "clack" of the dice is as big a part of the experience as anything. I remember being in a little league in the mid-1990s and putting our afternoon paper out in the morning, then having afternoons free before covering games at night, so we would all gather for marathon sessions.

One of our guys had Greg Maddux in his prime, and after about the fifth time he issued a bases-loaded walk, the guy gave Maddux the hook and put his card in the hallway outside the apartment where we were playing, because he didn't deserve to remain inside.

Batman and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Out Of The Park is great, especially when it creates story lines — for me last season, Alex Verdugo was a troublemaker who got into fights in the Dodgers' clubhouse, so I had to trade him.

If I'm going to play Strat-O-Matic, it's got to be the board game version.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really want to play in the money leagues. I can't justify the expense.

I just think I've learned enough about the inner mechanics of the cards that I could build a pretty good team.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I had to develop film, make prints, lay out and paste up pages from 6 am-noon, then cover some minor sport in the late afternoon from 4-6 pm, then cover a football or basketball game at 7 pm, get back to the office to write gamers, agate and roundups until 1 am, I usually just slept in my car from noon-4 pm.

Draft saved Draft deleted