1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Time may tell us that the Cal State system was premature in its decision. But one of the reasons it felt it could make it -- as opposed to the UC System -- is that one of every three CSU undergrads takes at least one class online. In the UC System, it's one of every 20.
    I tried but failed to find the % of students in the two systems who live on campus. That's another major difference, I would suspect.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

College football will do as the presidents of the universities decide, not as a few malinformed coaches decide. This will come as a shock to the coaches.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s fine. Argue my logic.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Even without fans, a college football game has upwards of 300 people, many of whom are in close contact.

One positive test — hell, even a false positive test — and two teams plus game officials and support crews are all shut down for a minimum of 14 days.

Now, repeat that at random times and places throughout the fall.

Plan on doing without college football until 2021.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If these Cal State University System schools have no on-campus learning but still play football, will they set a precedent? Or will they look like outliers? Seems to me they'll need to present argument's like Alma's -- that being alone on campus is safer than being on campus with thousands of others. And in order to do that, they'll need to prove that they can test everybody on the team and affiliated with the team on a pretty regular basis.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are 23 Cal State University campuses.

Five have football programs, affecting the Mountain West Conference (San Jose State, Fresno State, San Diego State) and Big Sky Conference (Sacramento State and Cal Poly SLO).

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Isn't the UC system going all-online as well? Add Cal and UCLA to the list then.

EDIT: Not to forget Sacramento State, UC Davis and Cal Poly, which play in the Big Sky.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That wasn’t the argument.

The argument was: Take everything you wrote above and explain to me how in the hell it’d be safer on a campus with 25,000 more students on it.

I’m not as concerned as you are about your above scenario, but I acknowledge that concern is pretty reasonable.

The virus isn’t Chernobyl.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have not seen that UC is going all-online. If so, yes, UCLA, Cal and UC Davis get bunched in.

Sacramento State and Cal Poly SLO are Cal State system schools.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As far as I know, UC system has yet to make a formal announcement of its plans, but the Chancellor admitted it probably wasn't going to be business as usual a couple weeks ago.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2 frames of thought on potential matchup of TCU-Alabama.

1. It doesn't sound very sexy. What does TCU bring to the table for ESPN.....meh......
    2. They're airing Korean baseball right now. People will watch anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted