1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure Music Trivia Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 3, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

This is morbid. I’m in.

Ray Charles, Michael Jackson, Al Jerrau (sp and not event sure if he was on the song), one of the pointer sisters. All I got.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

James Ingram died last year

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

June Pointer is the Pointer sister. The two toughest are left. One is a big name most don't realize was there because the singer bailed before they shot the video. The clue for the toughest one is this: it wasn't a Jackson or a member of the Jackson 5.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Waylon Jennings? I think he was there but didn’t have a featured part

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Waylon was the big name walkout. Apparently there was discussion about singing part of it in Swahili and it went back and forth - some Ethiopian guests Stevie Wonder brought along were asked about the language and said nobody spoke Swahili in Ethiopia (where they were targeting assistance), so they dropped it. Apparently it was Michael Jackson's idea.

EDIT - Paying off the final deceased singer on the single - Mario Cippolina, bass player for Huey Lewis and the News was who I was thinking of. Though oddly enough, he was never credited with vocals on any of the band's albums. Further edit - he's NOT DEAD - I confused him with his brother John who is dead. Not all good news for Mario though - he was busted with meth and heroin back in 2007 and now plays with a Huey Lewis and the News tribute band - SuperHuey.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Courtesy of an old Casey Kasem show and verified as still correct best I could thru Google:

What is the longest song title for a that reached Number 1 in the United States on the Billboard charts? The song title is without brackets and it's a single song, not a medley.

And what about a the longest title of a song to hit the top 40? Same rules apply.

Hit me with your best shot, fire away! (And no, not the answer)

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I know this didn't hit No. 1, but honorable mention goes to Panic! At the Disco's first single, "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage." Good song with a great title!

Matt1735 likes this.
  8. Matt1735

Its a good title, but you are right. Not correct for either part of the question...

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Without cheating via Google, that's a pretty tough question. Any chance for a hint, such as maybe the decade it hit No. 1?

10. Matt1735

Absolutely...

Both songs referenced hit the charts in the early 60s.

The one to hit No. 1 was the singer's only No. 1

The one with the longest title hit No. 35 and was that singer's first time on the charts. That singer had two songs hit No. 1 -- one serious, and one not-so-serious.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Is one Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Little Polkadot Bikini?

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    I Should Coco likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Standing outside a broken phone booth with money in my hand?

Draft saved Draft deleted