1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the most unsettling, racist thing I have seen in a long time.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 5, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

True, pretty much.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I know. They probably didn’t go hunting but they were playing with Fire.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The "He reached for his gun" defense is bullshit, too. There was no legitimate reason for Travis to be pointing a gun at him.

Liut likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he had a choice about going for the gun. It's not like he was going to outrun a truck, let alone a shotgun blast.

Smallpotatoes and Liut like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If the aggressor is allowed to claim self-defense, the entire justice system will fail.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Maybe I've missed it, but there seems to be very little discussion over a discrepancy between what the alleged assailants told police happened and what the video shows.

The police report states they chased him down, that they pulled alongside him and asked him to stop.

Ahmaud Arbery Police Report

Maybe they did, but the video shows their truck already stopped, with one of them in the bed of the truck and one of them out of it. The video trails Arbery for several seconds before the truck is even in view.

Even if they tried to flag him down, failed, and then sped past him to stop, they were there for a little bit. Either the father was riding in the back of the truck the entire time, or he had enough time to hop back there. Pretty nimble for a retiree.

It looks like an ambush, not a chase of a suspected burglar, and the fact they tried to pass it off as a heat-of-the-moment chase doesn't fly.

Maybe it's so open and shut that these guys committed a hate crime that the discrepancy between their statement and the video doesn't matter, but it's still jarring to me to not see it brought up.

2muchcoffeeman, Batman and Liut like this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A couple 911 calls were made. The identities of who made them haven’t been released.

The first of them, based on what’s said, is likely the killer.

Liut likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Those guns saved lives.

Just sayin...

9. Smallpotatoes

It worked for George Zimmerman.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There was no video of Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Absent video, these Trumpists would skate. Theirs would be the only version of events to see the light of day. Combine that exclusivity with the klan of prosecutors in the region and justice would have no shot.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

There was video of the Rodney King beating and we all know how that turned out.

Draft saved Draft deleted