1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the most unsettling, racist thing I have seen in a long time.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 5, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Candace is the Whole Foods version of Diamond and Silk’s Kroger’s

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump is Harris Tweeter

X-Hack and Webster like this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It would be a very long reach but it's conceivable that he could have committed misdemeanor trespassing. But the Georgia citizen's arrest laws say it has to be when a felony is suspected. And he didn't exactly walk out of that half-built home with a roll of copper wire. He took nothing.
    And even if he did, it doesn't call for the death penalty.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tilapia gets involved in the smearing of the victim.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Your AutoCorrect changed her name to “Tilapia”!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The fact that you even have to go through that thought process is so sad to me. I get it, but it is insanity to me.

For the police to arrest someone, they need probably cause, which when not fudged puts a high burden on cops. They need something way more than just a hunch.

We should all want it that way. It's a protection of our rights.

The typical Barney Fife wannabe empowered with a citizen's arrest law, doesn't even fall under the fourth amendment, and even if you can reconcile that, they are not the kinds of people putting a premium on other people's rights. Most people haven't retained even the basic civics or social studies knowledge to understand, even if they would have a canary of someone tried to arrest them.

Those citizen's arrest laws aren an abomination. As are the stand your ground laws, which go hand in hand with the lunacy.

Fred siegle and tapintoamerica like this.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agree totally with the last sentence. I think the stand your ground laws were written for serious cases of self defense. I'm betting the lawyer for the defendants in this case will try to argue both citizen's arrest and stand your ground. And unless they get 12 jurors from Jesup, Ga., he will lose.

Liut likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This case doesn't come anywhere near to the level of Michael Brown and I wish people would quit lumping him with the legitimate cases of excessive force by police and vigilantism by white idiots. A black attorney general (Eric Holder) ruled that the cop in the Michael Brown case did not act improperly. Enough already with that one. It marginalizes the many, many actual cases of a miscarriage of justice that led to a black kid/adult getting killed.

Liut likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

No, that was me. It was intentional.

10. Smallpotatoes

The McMichaels' apologists claim it was self-defense because he reached for Travis' gun

But how could that be true when there was no reason to brandish the weapon in the first place?

Liut likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not the same. Fairly infuriating, but not the same.

12. Smallpotatoes

Has the "he was just a jogger" narrative really been discredited?

Draft saved Draft deleted