1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoke up, Losers!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Justin_Rice, May 10, 2020.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Dear god. Does someone really have a problem with that? I don't even eat meat and I like the smell of most grills and smokers. Someone might need to hit the ganja and relax.

Speaking of which, the neighbors behind me who used to fire up on the weekends moved. The smell of their weed and incense was kind of like a nice mix of college dorm and church. I miss them and their revolving cast of foster dogs.

My racist next-door neighbor is dealing with loud conversations in Spanish going on directly across the street, behind us, and this morning on my patio. He missed the Ale Guzman (who I happen to like and have some of her CDs) and Mexican rap at pain level that happened outside last weekend. There was a lot of power-tool blasting and angry hammering emitting from his backyard. The African American family one street over had another cookout with loud classic funk. This probably did not help his mood. Me? I love it when they have cookouts because I can sit in my backyard and enjoy music I forgot I owned. To be fair, my feelings might be different if I lived close enough for my windows to rattle when they crank up the stereo.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

My perspective may be different because my lungs have been sore for three weeks, but might the neighbor be worried about your smoke's impact on their lungs? Grill smoke has carcinogens, according to several sources. If the neighbor thinks of it as better-smelling cigarette smoke, that might explain the hacked-offedness.

If the neighbor is otherwise a good neighbor, the generous thing to do would be to move your smoker to the other side of your lot if that's practical. If not, well, grill smoke is part of being outside (I'm assuming the smell doesn't get inside their place).

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Up to a point, I agree with you. When smoke, dryer sheet fumes, etc. start to get to me, I go inside. Maybe it's a question of dealing with lung stuff over a period of years. One factor that does make a difference: Can I get away from smoke or noise when I go in? If I'm inside and I'm still smelling or hearing what's going on after fifteen minutes or more, that's a problem.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I used to work in a city that required permits for outdoor fires. Charcoal grills were acceptable but smokers were not. And permits were very rarely granted. The reason given was the number of elderly and athsmatics in the city. No kidding.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

1. Smoked turkey is THE BEST turkey. Even better than deep fried...

2. Try taking salmon filets and salting them down for 8 hours to remove a lot of the water and then smoking for 3 hours. Oh, by the way, if you do lots of them, they will freeze perfectly well for at least 6 months. The reason I can't tell you if they freeze for longer than that is that no batch I have ever done has lasted more than 6 months in the freezer.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I love smoked wings. I keep it about 275 for 2.5-3 hours.
    Oh, my.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I look back at my life and I can't believe people/we smoked inside bars- can't fucking believe it. What we know now has not changed much in 30 years.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I feel like the digital "set it and forget it" smokers are cheating.

A large portion of the skill is building and controlling your fire at the desired temperature for the desired time.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

They (pellet grills in this case) don't smoke as well as an offset or reverse flow smoker although you can get 70% of the way there by placing a couple of pellet tubes in the bottom. Good for a busy day, but not for real BBQ.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The easiest way to control that is to take a 55 gallon drum with an open top and cut a hole down at ground level big enough to get a shovel into easily. Build a fire in it, then keep adding wood to the top. A bed of coals will accumulate at the bottom. Take your shovel, get a mound of coals in it, and put them into your smoker instead of laying a fire in it. Keep adding your hickory or oak or whatever to the drum, and add more coals as needed. Much easier to control. Of course, the drawback is that you now have a 55 gallon drum out back near your smoker, but it works very well.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The process of long cook times is as much a part of it as eating what you've fixed.
    I love sitting on my deck, tending to my cooker, listening to some music, or reading.
    Last night I grilled some tuna steaks - which is one of my favorite things in the world - but I literally cook them for 5 minutes (2:30 per side). That's not even enough time for a couple of swallows of beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted