1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random movie scene thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 4, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

maumann, swingline, bigpern23 and 2 others like this.
  2. Garner

Garner Member

Absolute perfection.

Batman likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

You just took me way back, man. I know where my YouTube adventures are going tomorrow. Thanks for helping me remember.

Garner and Batman like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Cop Land.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree. This scene is far more jarring than the death of Optimus Prime. In hindsight, it is hard not to think it was all driven by Hasbro's desire to sell more toys. Kill off a bunch of old characters and introduce a bunch of new ones.

The did the second part of that with G.I. Joe: The Movie, too, but they stopped short on the killing. The story I've heard was that due to the backlash over killing off Optimus Prime (temporarily), they changed their plans to kill Duke and actually had him survive in the G.I. Joe movie, which came out a year later.

6. outofplace

How has this one not been posted yet?

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Network has a lot of great scenes, obviously, but here's my favorite:

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Someone posted a clip of The Paper on another thread, and I tried to come up with a witty response using Keaton's rant, but I couldn't.

Spalding Gray is also great in this scene. I looked him up, and he had a very sad end to his life.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The best movie of two years ago.

(The final second of the clip might be my favorite.)

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The bigger difference between the two was that Transformers: The Movie mattered in its universe -- a lot -- and G.I. Joe: The Movie didn't. In fact, G.I. Joe: The Movie, IIRC, was the end of the cartoon series and never built on the new characters it introduced.

With Transformers, the new characters introduced in the movie were thrust to the forefront precisely because the old characters were killed off. They take on a huge role because they're among the few survivors of the Battle of Autobot City, not necessarily because the older characters have just disappeared. If it glosses over their introduction and individual back stories it's because they're fighting and then running for their lives the entire movie. The new characters also mix in with some of the older ones. Bumblebee, the Dinobots and a few others all survive the movie and are featured throughout it.
    The G.I. Joe movie was a lot more ham-fisted with the introductions, and the existing characters barely show up at all even if it was just to be killed off or phased out.

Also, since there was another season of the cartoon, they were able to build on the movie's long-lasting consequences.
    You had Unicron's head still orbiting around Cybertron and posing a threat; Rodimus Prime trying to be the guy who follows The Guy as the leader of the Autobots and struggling to live up to the task; the Decepticons in shambles after losing the war; and plenty of other fallout.
    They did bring back Optimus Prime (and Starscream) during the next season of the cartoon, but the other Transformers stayed dead or altered.
    The episode where they brought Optimus back was kind of creepy. The Autobots come across a mausoleum in deep space that contains the bodies of those who died during the movie, which are eventually destroyed forever. They find Optimus as a mind-altered zombie that, in a great bit of continuity, still has the same battle damage from his fight with Megatron, and he rides to his apparent (but not really) second death in a shot where he's on fire with one arm and one eye missing.
    The final season of the cartoon felt a lot more "grown up" and darker than the first two years of shows.

Long story short, the Transformers was able to take what has largely been defined as a cold-hearted cash grab and turned it into the defining point of its narrative saga. If you chart the four-year story arc of the Generation One Transformers, it's almost like a trilogy where there's the stuff before the movie, the movie itself, and then everything after. And almost every other iteration of the Transformers since has worked pieces of the 1986 movie -- like Unicron, the death of Optimus, and the Megatron/Galvatron transformation -- into its story as well. Calling it just a way to kill off one set of characters and introduce another really doesn't do justice to what they ultimately did with it.

12. outofplace

Don't get me wrong. They did it well, certainly much better than G.I. Joe. I mostly enjoyed the movie and the show. I was just talking about the reason why the changes were made. They crafted a good story around the toy-driven cash grab.

I had forgotten the part about the zombie Optimus Prime story with the mausoleum. I remembered the one that came after it, with a human who hated the Autobots using Optimus Prime's body to lure the Autobots in and infect them with spores that made the infected turn insane and violent. That all lead to another "You've Got the Touch" moment, with unleashing the power of the Matrix saving the day.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted