1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Probably the most unsettling, racist thing I have seen in a long time.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 5, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It came true?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I heard about this on the radio this afternoon.

It's disturbing.

What's going to be even more disturbing is hearing Mat in Hat types turning themselves inside out to claim that it wasn't racist and was perhaps justified.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's just horrifying.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Someone help me with this.

The quotes in the stories read like the DA is doing a disingenuous rope-a-dope about being of the opinion that a grand jury should investigate it, blah blah blah.

But that DA could just indict if he felt he had a case, right?

Two men shot someone in cold blood, now with video of the whole thing existing. There is a body.

Why do you need a grand jury to investigate that?

Walk into a preliminary hearing with that evidence and there is going to be a trial in any impartial courtroom anywhere.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If Arbery did everything those racist assclowns accused him of, they’d still be guilty of murder. You don’t get permission to fatally shoot anyone because you think, or even know, they robbed someone’s house.

Lock them up.

Smallpotatoes, wicked and Batman like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve shared this story with some of my strong “my rights are being violated because of covid-19” crowd. None have the courage to comment. It’s as if some rights don’t matter.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Because the DA can point the finger at the grand jury and not disappoint his cracker buddies.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, what if Arbery had said, "OK, guys, I'll come with you. Let's get this straightened out." What do you think these two rednecks were going to do, take him in to the police station? This was their intended result. But I'm sure we'll start hearing soon that "he was no angel."

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Do you think there was any conversation other than "git over here..."?

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It goes to grand jury because DA wants cover. Most troubling is that he’s not even in jail.

Once again if it was a WHITE person, no one even tries to say “citizens arrest” or “he looked like a report.”

This type of behavior results from allowing those little racist slights. “Why can’t we use the N word”? Etc. It feeds the mind set “we can make fun of them but they can’t make fun of us”. We are not equal.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Absolutely not true.

Draft saved Draft deleted