1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random movie scene thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, May 4, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This scene always gets me rolling.
    "Mike Douglas makes me moist. Only white man who ever did that."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love this from The Sting

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dennis Farina at his finest in Midnight Run. (NSFW-language)

My other fave from the movie.

garrow likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

William Goldman's screenplay describes the moment that fight is resolved. "As he finishes speaking, Butch delivers the most aesthetically exquisite kick in the balls in modern American cinema".

The screenplay is online for free at http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Butch_Cassidy_and_the_Sundance_Kid.pdf

It's a fabulous read, not just for the dialogue but for the descriptive language throughout. Well worth the read.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite clips from one of my favorite movies.

Neutral Corner and misterbc like this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. The look on the dude's face when Newman laid down his hand makes the scene.

Not in that clip: WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO, CALL HIM FOR CHEATING BETTER THAN ME IN FRONT OF THE OTHERS?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The camera panning in on the 4 jacks that coincides with the train whistle.
    Just perfection.

maumann, Slacker and misterbc like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

'Your boss is a very good card player. How does he do it?"

"He cheats."

maumann likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A classic scene for any 80s kid. But the first 45-60 seconds, when "The Touch" kicks in and Optimus lays waste to the entire Decepticon army to get to Megatron, is a perfect 10 on the badassery scale.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna link it but the Terrance Mann "People will come Ray, people will come" scene from Field of Dreams is an all-time classic.

maumann, Garner and Batman like this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

All these years later I still can't believe they went here.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's the one people always talk about, but the deaths that always stuck with me were the earlier ones on the shuttle. Those cheap Korean animators somehow perfectly captured this horrific look of pain, confusion and fear on Prowl's face as he gets shot, his insides start melting, smoke pours out of his mouth and he realizes he's going to die (at the 34-second mark), all in about two seconds. Somebody described that to me when I was 10, before I had seen the movie, and it gave me the chills. Even seeing it now, 34 years later, it is still haunting.
    Poor Ratchet gets taken down in a heroic stand that leaves holes in him. Brawn explodes. And then Ironhide ... damn.
    If Optimus' last stand that I linked above is his greatest moment, the one that defines him as a badass hero, then coldly sneering, slinging out a one-liner and blowing off Ironhide's head at point blank range is Megatron's. Just so damn cold and evil. He was never a more lethal threat than in that scene.

Those were four Autobots that had been a huge part of the TV series. Characters we had grown to know and love as kids for two years at that point. And they're all brutally murdered in the first 10 minutes of the movie. Up until that point, we had seen Transformers get shot and injured, but they were always repaired. Everything was OK in the end. This scene showed they could die. It changed all of the rules.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted