1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pulitzers 2020

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, May 4, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Congrats to the winners, the finalists and all still working in the industry.
    (But you'd think Poynter would avoid misplacing the location of the Courier-Journal-see correx at bottom)

Here are the winners of the 2020 Pulitzer Prizes - Poynter

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the winners.

I think it says a lot about the state of daily papers that none of the four cartooning finalists is employed at a daily.

Sally Jenkins was a finalist. Has she been a finalist before?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was surprised to see the cartooning category still there.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Pulitzers only recently started to consider the work of magazines. I think opening up the category to magazine and on-line cartoonists has saved the category. The winner is with the New Yorker and Kalaugher works for the Economist and the Baltimore Sun. Another finalist is with the Nib, which I have never heard of.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of my co-workers many years ago, a man of many malaprops, called it the "Colonel-Journal."

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

After the awards are given out, will the winners be laid off? Certainly they are high paid if they won Pulitzers and hedge funds DO NOT care about the product.

Sports Barf likes this.
  7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Three things:

1. Very surprised WaPo's Afghanistan story wasn't a finalist. That was a huge story.
    2. LOL at the right-wingers going crazy over the 1619 win.
    3. I wonder how mad Julie Brown at the Miami Herald must be for her work on Epstein to not be recognized.

Likely the case for the those at The Seattle Times, The Sun, and ADN.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, WTF? Brown nailed Epstein to the wall, and long after nobody else did.

And it ain't her fault Epstein killed himself turned up dead.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Tweener likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

one in particular

Webster likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Webster likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s unreal to look at Twitter and see people shitting on the project. It was fantastic work, and as one who reads a lot about race, I learned a tremendous amount. The podcast series was mostly a disappointment though (with the exception of the Wesley Morris music episode).

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Link?

Draft saved Draft deleted