1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Shula

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanielSimpsonDay, May 4, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I remember Hank Goldberg destroying Gene Atkins when Shula retired.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah. My memory is hazy, but didn't the field turn to mud because the Dolphins "forgot" to put the tarp on the field, or something like that?

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Baumhower
    Betters
    Bokamper
    Bowser
    Brudzinski
    Blackwood
    Blackwood

Slacker likes this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

NO EXCUSE FOR MISSING TARPAULIN

Too soon

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

George Halas kinda did. His Bears won a title in 1921, but I don't think they had conference title games back then. He coached title teams in the 30s, 40s and 60s. The one Bears team to make a title game in the 1950s was in 1956, during one of Halas' coaching hiatuses, and Paddy Driscoll was the coach that year.

Halas did coach until 1967, so he was in the Super Bowl era.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Only coach to defeat the vaunted '85 Bears.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The first NFL championship game was in 1933.

8. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

There were times I swore it was a league rule that all broadcasts had to mention that the Dolphins had a huge, perhaps unfair advantage because Shula was on the competition committee, and that this was why they were always among the least penalized teams (it apparently being beyond the abilities of players and coaches on other teams to, you know, read the rule book).

Two sub-.500 seasons in 33 years is really remarkable, even if you factor in that it was much easier to stay good once you got good in the pre-free agency NFL.

Slacker likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Shula and Chuck Knox were on the same staff in Detroit

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

If csonka, kiick and warfield don’t jump to the WFL, do the dolphins of the 1970s pick up another title or two?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Still way behind the '50s Giants, with Vince Lombardi running the offense and Tom Landry running the defense.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, some of the real old-timers said the Lions first started really going to shit when they let Shula get away to the Colts in 1963 IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted