1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next up: New York Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Apr 29, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

George Willis and Kevin Kernan lost their jobs in sports. That's half a century, minimum, of column-writing experience. Terrible.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yet they are hiring consultants in Australia . Nice waste of money. Such a pity when people allegedly are reading more than ever online that the ads have dried up. Newspapers just cant win. Now the online is doing better but no advertisers want to advertise online. Just kill the damn industry and show the suits and former readers alike how important the reporters and editors were through the years to society. The newspapers haven't helped by the way. Every one I've read has taken the position we need to stay locked in as a society. Real smart position, suits. Being locked in means no businesses are open and means absolutely no ads. Big LOL to the suits.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jesus. That isn't space you fill with a couple of 20-somethings with a little writing experience.

When the Daily News stopped competing, it created enough of a void. The Post was kind of holding up still, in no small part because Willis and Kernan understand the audience and they crank out readable stuff like it's a bodily function.

That leaves who, Joel Sherman, Cannizzaro for football, Davidoff for Yankees and Vaccaro for a little bit of everything? Did they all survive?

cake in the rain likes this.
  6. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I heard nine layoffs in sports, so who knows... haven't seen anything on social media from any of those guys aside from Kernan, who didn't mention anything that may have happened.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Best of luck to anyone laid off at the New York Post. The Post, however, is an outlier among American papers. My understanding of the business model of the Post was to sell a lot of papers to morning commuters. The number of commuters has declined and there are now smart phones so the business model has collapsed, just as it did for the Daily News.

But the scariest part of the story, if you are a journalist, is that NewsCorp stopped printing 60 papers in Australia. I have no idea if these were weeklies or dailies or basically zoned editions. But that has to be a huge chunk of the journalism jobs in a country of 26,000,000 people.

Is it a precursor of what is going to happen in the U.S.?

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Brian Lewis, the Nets/NBA guy, Tweeted April 24 that he's on furlough and Marc Berman is handling both the Knicks and Nets.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes. The print product may not have more than a few weeks/months left. It will be all online for news with a couple reporters and maybe one editor per organization.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

But, you know there's a Suit or three who will say exactly that and never flinch. It's happened everywhere. Decades of experience, insight, connections, the recognition of the name by the readers. We see it all the time.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Do you ever shut the fuck up?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I thought print would make it to decade's end but that was prior to Covid-19 and ads falling off the cliff. I think print can last to mid-decade, following some more mergers to create two big newspaper chains.

cake in the rain likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted