1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just called the local office. They're closed due to COVID-19.

2. Smallpotatoes

I'm guessing I made a mistake on the initial application but I guess I'll never know.

It's probably safe to assume I won't get any unemployment money and I'll never know why.

I'm thinking about applying for a warehouse order picker job with DHL Supply Chain. I'm worried I may not be up to it, however.

If I leave the job I have now and wash out after a few days I'd be in an even worse position. That's why I won't apply for a warehouse job with Amazon. I'd do the best I could but I just don't move that fast.

3. Smallpotatoes

Now I'm 0-for-4.

4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Have you contacted your state rep about the unemployment? Our guy, a grandstander who is always partistan, is helping people in our district who are having problems claiming unemployment. If you call a local office, not the Washington number, you usually get a person.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

I sent him an email yesterday. He called me a few hours later, took down my information and said either he or someone on his staff would look into it. They'd get back to me later today.

OscarMadison and Mngwa like this.
  6. Smallpotatoes

The state rep didn't help much. For some reason his chief of staff completely misunderstood me and thought I didn't want to collect unemployment because I am working part time. Maybe I need to work on explaining myself better.
    I didn't work at all this week and I'm still not eligible
    I'm back to wanting to kill myself again.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not that you're the only one feeling this way right now -- reference tonight's heartbreaking episode of "60 Minutes" -- but you really should not be coming on here and posting things like that last line.

We've all tried to help, and we're not responsible for your extreme feelings. We also can't tell if you're just being overly dramatic or exaggerating, etc., because things sometimes can get lost in translation on message boards. What you're going through sounds like typical life challenges, and I have to think you WILL eventually come out the other side. Most people do.

But if you're feeling so troubled as to seriously consider suicide, you need to seek the help of someone close to you, a church pastor or counselor, or, better yet, a mental-health professional, or some such person. Seek real help if you need it, and treat yourself kindly, or certainly better, otherwise.

Life is precious. Really. And you only have one.

8. Smallpotatoes

They called back today. I missed the call. It was on a private line. They left a voicemail but no callback number

9. Smallpotatoes

OK I got some answers. Seems if I make more than $88 in a week. I'm not eligible that week. That doesn't explain lsst week when I made nothing but they'll look into it.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Good news. Hang in there. Seek help if you really feel you're at the end.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be as circumspect about this as I can. If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, you need to talk to someone. When you post statements about suicide, you are putting an unfair onus on the people who read this and try to help. I am working on the assumption that the majority of the denizens of a board devoted to sports journalism are not trained for crisis intervention.

Also... Do you know for sure there is no chance someone who has lost a loved one to suicide won't come across this?

It's okay to blow off steam and it's healthy to mourn the loss of aspects of your life that you feel define you. Both of those needs are normal and human and it's better for your mental and physical health to vent. Suicidal ideation is a whole 'nother thing. If you are really feeling that way, talk to a trained person about it. If you're just using it as a pet phrase to describe distress, you're a writer, find better words to describe that state of mind.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I concur and will take it one step further - I know some message boards will ban you if you mention suicide, banning for many of the reasons you state above.

Banning isn’t meant to be harsh to the person who is struggling - it is done for several reasons. First and foremost, ideation isn’t healthy and a straight up policy of banning is actually a supportive measure: if you feel that badly, go get help immediately, and while there are people here who will be helpful, a message board is not the best place to get help. That’s an understatement of course.

Like Oscar said above, there are impacts to others as well. Others could go down a slippery slope by reading suicidal posts. Other users could be impacted by feeling helpless in wanting to help but being unable to do so. And if there is an awful outcome to this, it lays a lot of potential remorse and guilt on some of those who have read this thread.

On a really awful flip side, I know some readers think this thread is fake and performance art. It does make one wonder at times, but in my opinion, that’s a very dangerous take on what has transpired in this thread because if wrong, the end result could be awful.

sp - multiple people have told you multiple times to go seek professional help and tighten things up. Generally, the posters here have been very supportive, but you need to stop posting like this and GO GET HELP NOW. Not next week - NOW. Go to the Emergency Room. They can help. Be fair to your fellow posters and HELP YOURSELF. Before it is too late.

Moderators - I really do wish you all would have a pow wow over this and consider locking this thread. Doing so might help push sp to seek professional help. A next step would be supportive PMs followed by a ban until he can return when he’s healthier.

Personally, I’m rooting for him, but this has gone on long enough, and I’m now concerned more about the impact this has on the rest of the SJ community. It’s human nature to try and reach out and help, and most have done so, but a message board is not the place to handle something this serious.

Best wishes, sp. Get well soon.
    VB

Draft saved Draft deleted